Stovetop Mac and Cheese is the creamiest, dreamiest version of an all-American favorite! No one can resist a savory combination of a creamy cheddar cheese base blended with macaroni noodles, and it couldn’t be easier made on the stovetop.
How to Make Stove Top Mac and Cheese
This stovetop mac and cheese is the creamiest version! The secret to this recipe is that the pasta is boiled in milk (which means only one pot for easy clean up). It’s as easy as 1,2,3!
- Combine milk, garlic powder, butter, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add in the macaroni noodles and reduce the heat to low (adding liquid as needed). Cook until the noodles are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Once the pasta is fully cooked, add the rest of the ingredients and stir until melted.
The final result is a smooth and hearty easy family entrée that everyone will love and want seconds of!
This recipe is really easy to make but here are a few tips to make sure it comes out creamy.
When the macaroni is done cooking in the milk, you do not want it dry. You may need to add more milk/water to the pot while it is cooking. The macaroni noodles should be as moist as the photo on the top right below BEFORE you add in the cheese. Once you add the cheese, remove it from the stove and stir until the cheese has melted.
Keep in mind, pre-shredded cheese often has additives to keep it from clumping. These additives can cause it to be grainy instead of creamy.
What Goes with Mac and Cheese?
Fresh fruit salad or a tangy gelatin dessert goes well with this rich macaroni. When you serve this creamy stovetop mac and cheese, almost anything goes.
Mac and Cheese leftovers can last 4-5 days in the fridge. Reheat on low on the stove top (or in them microwave) and add a splash of milk to keep it creamy.
Can You Freeze Mac and Cheese? The best creamy mac and cheese recipes are served just as they’re made, including this one. This recipe doesn’t freeze well.
More Mac and Cheese Love
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – me personal favorite recipe
- Crock Pot Mac and Cheese – perfect for potlucks!
- Cheesy Beef & Macaroni Casserole – so hearty
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese – a family favorite
- Baked Mac and Cheese – so good
Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (Boiled in Milk)
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2 ½-3 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- In a saucepan combine a pinch of salt, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, butter and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add in macaroni noodles, reduce heat to low.
- Continue to simmer stirring frequently until noodles are cooked (about 20 minutes).
- Watch to make sure the liquid doesn’t completely evaporate. You can add extra milk ¼ cup at a time if the liquid is low.
- Once the pasta is cooked, ensure the noodles are not dry. They should be as moist as the photo above before adding cheese. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese. Cover for 3 minutes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Recipe slightly adapted from Plain Chicken.