Sausage Breakfast Casserole is loaded with sausage, peppers, cheese and Italian seasoning is one my favorite make ahead breakfasts! You’ll love this for holidays and when you’ve got guests as it can (and should) be made ahead of time!
A Favorite Breakfast Made Easy
I love that overnight casseroles (both in the oven and a Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole) can be prepped the night before making it perfect for holidays, weekends and even for overnight guests.
How to Make a Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This sausage egg casserole is very simple to make!
- Place bread cubes, chopped peppers and cooked sausage in a casserole dish (per recipe below).
- Combine eggs, milk and cheese. Pour over bread.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours (overnight is best). This allows the bread cubes to soak up the egg mixture.
- In the morning just bake and serve!
This quick and easy casserole recipe can be made the night before for a worry-free weekend breakfast (or prep in the morning to bake for dinner after a long day).
Variations on Sausage Breakfast Casserole
I love adding Italian sausage to this recipe along with fresh red and green peppers because the sausage has so much flavor!
- Meat: Sausage is my first choice in this recipe, it has lots of flavor!
- Vegetables: I use peppers and onions for flavor. Any veggie will do (including leftover roasted veggies). If your vegetables are watery (like mushrooms) be sure to pre-cook them so they don’t make the casserole watery. If you use veggies like asparagus or broccoli, steam until tender crisp.
- Cheese: Use whatever you have on hand! Gruyere or a bit of swiss also add a great flavor.
Substituting Bread With Hashbrowns
While I much prefer the consistency of this dish using bread cubes, you can certainly make this into a sausage hashbrown casserole in place of bread. You can also use leftover rolls, hot dog buns… pretty much any dry bread will work!
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, this dish reheats really well and freezes perfectly.
More Easy Eggs
- Corned Beef Hash (video)
- Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Easy Quiche Recipe – Easy Brunch recipe!
- Dill Pickle Deviled Eggs
- Make Ahead Egg Muffins – Breakfast on the go!
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 14 slices bread crust removed, cubed and dried (see note)
- 1 package Johnsonville Naturals Italian Sausage
- 3 green onions sliced
- ½ red bell pepper finely diced
- ½ green bell pepper finely diced
- 2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- pepper to taste
- Remove casing from sausage and cook over medium high heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Layer ½ of the cubes in a greased 9×13 pan. Top with ½ of each the sausage, green onions, peppers, and cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Combine eggs, milk, & seasonings Pour egg mixture over bread ensuring all of the bread has been covered. Refrigerate overnight (or at least 3 hours).
- Remove from fridge and place in the oven while preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Bake covered with foil 65-75 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (If you are baking 2 pans increase cooking time will need to increase).
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.