Fragrant with an unforgettable rich, almost spicy bite, these are a favorite anytime cookie!
Soft and chewy ginger cookies are stuffed with a hidden caramel surprise in the center!
These easy ginger snap cookies are a triple taste threat with the deep molasses flavor, the savory gingerbread bite, and the sweet burst of melted caramel in the center. Make these unforgettable bites for the best cookie platter or treat exchange ever!
Caramel Stuffed Ginger Cookies
- Old fashioned ginger cookies are a favorite cookie, great with coffee or hot chocolate!
- The scent of freshly baked stuffed ginger cookies is hard to resist and even better paired with caramel.
- These cookies freeze well for a later date.
Caramel stuffed ginger cookies are easy to make and even easier to switch out ingredients or add toppings!
SPICES: The key to these tasty treats is ginger and cinnamon!
DOUGH: Basic cookie dough is a combination of flour, sugar, shortening, butter, eggs, and a pinch of salt. We have only made this recipe a combination of shortening and butter. Butter adds flavor while the shortening makes the cookie soft and chewy while keeping it from spreading too much.
MOLASSES: Molasses is what gives the cookie that chewy texture and dark, almost smoky flavor that’s really complemented by the spices. Molasses can be dark, medium, light, or blackstrap. Any variety will still deliver than sweet/spicy flavor!
CARAMELS: The surprise in the center of ginger cookies are the creamy caramels that melt in your mouth (Soft Werther’s caramels are our favorite choice). A caramel that is hard and chewy will be hard and chewy once the cookie cools so choose one that is soft when you buy it.
How to Make Ginger Cookies
- Whisk the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- Cream together the next 3 ingredients in another bowl.
- Mix in molasses & egg. Mix in flour mixture until dough is fully incorporated.
- In another small bowl, whisk white & brown sugars together.
- Wrap ginger cookie dough around flattened caramels & press into sugar mixture.
- Bake until cookies are barely browned & cool completely.
PRO TIP: The caramels will harden once the cookies are completely cooled. Warm them up in the microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds to make them soft and chewy again.
Storing Ginger Snap Cookies
Keep caramel stuffed ginger cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days. PRO TIP: Place a slice of bread in the container to absorb condensation so the cookies don’t get too soft.
How to Freeze
Freeze the prepared dough in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw at room temperature. Freeze cooled cookies in a single layer on a baking sheet and then freeze in a zippered bag for up to 4 months.
Flavorful & Festive Cookies
- Jam Thumbprint Cookies – freezer friendly
- Andes Mint Cookies – perfect for a party
- Slice & Bake Butter Cookies – icebox cookies
- Christmas Cut Out Cookies – kids love these
- Milano Cookie Balls – a fun holiday treat
Did your family love these Caramel Stuffed Ginger Cookies? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Caramel Stuffed Ginger Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 24 soft caramels such as Werthers
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, & salt in a small bowl. Mix with a whisk and set aside.
- With a mixer on medium, cream sugar, shortening, & butter until fluffy. Add in molasses and egg.
- With mixer on low, add in flour mixture until completely combined.
- Combine white and brown sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Unwrap each caramel and shape it into a small flat circle. Wrap 2 tablespoons of cookie dough around each caramel and roll into a ball. Roll the ball in the sugar mixture.
- Place each ball about 1 ½" apart on a parchment-lined pan. Bake for 9 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- Cool for 5 minutes on the pan before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!