Ginger Cookies filled with caramel are a delicious twist on traditional soft chewy ginger snaps!
My husband has always loved soft chewy ginger cookies! They were his favorite until I came up with these bad boys! Amazingly soft and chewy ginger cookies with a deliciously rich homemade caramel center! You will be never going back to plain ginger cookies again!
I love them warm so the caramel is soft and melty but my husband prefers them cooled. If you love them warm you can enjoy them freshly baked or just pop them into the microwave for a few seconds!
Items you’ll need:
Caramel Filled Ginger Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shortening
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 24 soft caramels such as Werthers
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda & salt in a small bowl. Mix with a whisk and set aside.
- With mixer on medium, cream shortening, butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in molasses and egg.
- With mixer on low, add in flour mixture until completely combined.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine white and brown sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Unwrap each caramel and shape it into a small flat circle. Wrap 2 tablespoons of cookie dough around the caramel and roll into a ball. Roll the ball in the sugar mixture.
- Place about 1 ½" apart on a parchment-lined pan. Bake for 9 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- Cool for 5 minutes on the pan before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)