Ginger Cookies filled with caramel are a delicious twist on traditional soft chewy ginger snaps!
My husband has always loved soft chewy ginger cookies! They were his favorite until I came up with these bad boys! Amazingly soft and chewy ginger cookies with a deliciously rich homemade caramel center! You will be never going back to plain ginger cookies again!
I love them warm so the caramel is soft and melty but my husband prefers them cooled. If you love them warm you can enjoy them freshly baked or just pop them into the microwave for a few seconds!
Warning: The caramel is EXTREMELY HOT when it comes out of the microwave.
When making these, you first start with a caramel made in the microwave. It makes the most incredible caramel! I then pour it into a small glass dish to cool, any ol’ dish works just fine! Once cooled, it will be slightly chewy and you will be able to break off pieces and roll them into balls about 1/2 tablespoon in size. When wrapping the cookie dough around the caramel, be sure the caramel is completely covered.
Items you’ll need:
Caramel Filled Ginger Cookies
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup (Karo Syrup)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons half & half
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
Note: Use caution, the caramel is VERY hot!
- Combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup and 1/4 cup half and half in a large microwavable bowl (I used a 4 cup glass bowl). Cook 6 minutes stirring every 90 seconds. Let cool about 3-4 minutes and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons half & half (be careful it doesn't bubble up). Stir until smooth and pour into a small greased dish to cool completely.
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda & salt in a small bowl. Mix with a whisk and set aside.
- With mixer on medium, cream shortening, butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in molasses and egg.
- With mixer on low, add in flour mixture until completely combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 1/3 cup each white and brown sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pull off about 1/2 tablespoon of caramel from your cooled caramel and form into a small ball. Wrap 2 tablespoons of cookie dough around the caramel and roll into a ball. Roll the ball in the sugar mixture.
- Place about 1 1/2" apart on a parchment lined pan and bake 9 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- Cool 5 minutes on the pan before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.