Homemade Goo Remover!
Love it? Pin it to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Add your own great tips in the comments below!
Commercial Goo Remover is a product that removes sticker residue and other sticky, “tough to get up” products from glass, mirrors and other surfaces. If you have kids then you know why it is so useful to have Goo Gone in your home. However, there is absolutely no need to purchase it at a retail store because it is very, VERY simple to make.
Not only does this Goo Remover recipe work like magic, but it is completely food safe! With ingredients that come from your kitchen you don’t have to worry about using this on pans, dishes or to remove food labels!
The photo above is the lid to my deep fryer which had caked on grease. I had tried many things to get it clean and NOTHING was working! The homemade Goo Remover worked like a charm… no elbow grease required! I put the paste on, let it sit for about 4 minutes and used a soft scrubber. All of the grease just wiped right off.
This works on:
- remove labels
- gooey gunky icky sticky things
Next time your kid sticks a sticker on their bathroom mirror or you get a new frame with a sticker on it, you will be glad to have this stuff on hand and you will be amazed at how easy it is to make. With 2 ingredients and a few simple steps, it will take you about 1 minute and cost you less than $0.75.
Note: This does contain oil so use caution on porous surfaces and be sure to test it in a hidden area.
How to Make Homemade Goo Remover
- ½ cup olive or vegetable oil (either works perfectly)
- ⅓-1/2 cup baking soda (add more to make a thicker paste)
- Optional: Lemon juice OR a fragrant essential oil (commercial Goo Gone has an orange scent but you can choose any scent that you would like.)
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar. Shake well.
- Apply to surface to be cleaned and let sit for 1 minute.
- Depending on the type of residue, rub or scrub to remove.
- In extra sticky situations, let goo remover sit up to 5 minutes.
- Wash with hot soapy water… voila! Like magic!
This would be a great project to do with your kids as a science experiment. Make it a small family project. They will love it! You’ll be happy that you are saving money and using all-natural ingredients and they’ll have a blast making it at home. Then, maybe you will even be able to get them to clean!