After trying this homemade brownie mix recipe, you will never reach for a boxed brownie mix again! This recipe comes together in a matter of minutes and creates 6 batches of mix, which will keep for up to 3 months!
There is nothing like a homemade chocolate brownie when the craving for something sweet hits! This recipe is easy to prepare and creates enough brownie mix to feed a crowd of hungry brownie lovers! Each batch of this mix creates 16 servings! As this recipe creates 6 batches, there is no need to worry about using all of the mix right away, this brownie mix can be stored for up to 3 months. Not only is it a great substitution for a boxed mix, but it’s perfect to have on hand to quickly put together a delicious dessert!
These are always a welcome after school snack or a midday pick me up when the need for chocolate hits!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This recipe has been around for YEARS and actually comes from an old vintage box of recipes I have. As with all brownies, be very sure not to overbake them. You want them to be just baked so they’re moist and fudgy and not dry!
This brownie mix is delicious on it’s own but you can certainly customize your toppings to make an unforgettable dessert. I like to add chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips or even crushed pretzel pieces to the top of my brownies for a better than from the bakery treat! Top these with your favorite homemade frosting or even warm out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! The possibilities are endless!
Items You’ll Need For This Recipe
HOMEMADE BROWNIE MIX
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
TO BAKE BROWNIES
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup add ins such as nuts or chocolate chips optional
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt & cocoa powder. Stir in sugar.
- Add shortening and cut in with a pastry cutter until evenly distributed.
- Store sealed in a cool dry place up to 3 months.
TO BAKE BROWNIES
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups brownie mix with remaining ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into an 8×8 pan lined with parchment.
- Bake 28-30 minutes or just until set. Cool completely.
- Frost as desired and cut into squares.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)