Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers are the perfect snack and appetizer! Fresh jalapenos are stuffed with a mixture of cheeses and seasoning and wrapped in smoky bacon.
These easy poppers are then grilled (or baked) until the bacon is crisp and the cheese is perfectly melty.
I absolutely adore jalapeno poppers in any way, shape, or form including Jalapeno Popper Dip to Jalapeño Cheddar Stuffed Burgers. And of course what doesn’t taste amazing wrapped in bacon? I could pretty much eat these bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers at any meal and I especially love this version using fresh jalapenos and bacon (and skipping the breading).
How to Make Jalapeno Poppers
When cutting jalapenos, I very strongly suggest wearing gloves as the oils in the peppers can really affect (and burn) your skin if you’re cutting several peppers.
To reduce the heat from jalapenos (and other spicy peppers), be sure to remove all of the seeds and membranes as that’s where the capsaicin is contained (which is what makes them spicy). You can use any peppers in this recipe including sweet baby red & yellow peppers if you don’t like spice or would like to have another option for those that don’t eat spicy foods.
Can you Freeze Jalapeno Poppers?
Absolutely!! Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers are the perfect snack to have on hand for unexpected guests. I often make a couple of large trays and freeze them (before cooking). Once frozen I move them to a sealed container (or freezer bag) and store them for a few months.
When guests pop by, pour a pitcher of mojitos, heat up the grill and throw these on right from frozen. The perfect summer snack!
How to Cook Jalapeno Poppers
We most often cook these on the grill in the summer, and while you can cook them directly on the grill, a grill mat helps keep the bacon from flaring up. I use grill mats for so many things from burgers and veggies to Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin. They reduce flare ups, keep things from slipping through the grates and clean up like a dream.
To grill jalapeno poppers from frozen, we turn the grill down and cook them low and slow to ensure the middle heats & melts.
In the winter, we bake this jalapeno poppers recipe in the oven. Preheat to 425 degrees, place on a parchment lined pan and bake about 18-23 minutes or until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted. So easy!
Need More amazing Jalapeno recipes?
Here are some of my other favorite recipes with a spicy kick of jalapenos:
- Jalapeno Popper Dip: This has been the a top on my blog for years and years (and is my daughter’s favorite recipe on the whole site).
- Bacon Jalapeño Cheese Ball Recipe: This cheeseball is the perfect make ahead snack and everyone always loves it!
- Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken Breasts: Jalapeno Poppers make a great snack… but in this recipe you can enjoy them as a complete meal!
I hope you enjoy these bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers as much as we do!
BACON WRAPPED JALAPENO POPPERS
- 6 whole jalapeno peppers
- 6 oz cream cheese the block, not the spreadable
- 1 green onion finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 slices bacon
- Cut the stem off each jalapeno and cut in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scrape out seeds & membranes.
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese, green onion, garlic powder and cheddar cheese. Stuff into the jalapeno halves.
- Wrap each jalapeno completely with bacon ensuring the cheese is covered. Secure with toothpicks.
Place jalapenos on grill cut side down and grill just until bacon begins to crisp (about 6 minutes). Gently loosen bacon from the grill and flip jalapenos over. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook an additional 10-12 minutes or until bacon is cooked and cheese is melted.
Preheat to 425 degrees, place on a parchment lined pan and bake about 18-23 minutes or until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)