Coconut Macaroons are sweet, sticky and oh so good! This simple combination of coconut & sweetened condensed milk takes just minutes to prepare and bakes up crisp on the outside and tender and chewy in the middle!
These macaroons are one of our favorite easy cookie recipes and even better dipped and drizzled with melted chocolate for the perfect decadent bite.
This sweet treat has been one of the most beloved confections generation after generation. Not only are these macaroons extra delicious but they are so easy to make.
What is a Coconut Macaroon?
A coconut macaroon is nothing short of a little slice of heaven! Is it a cookie or a biscuit, or can it qualify as a candy? You be the judge. In my family, we also refer ‘haystacks’ as macaroons. No matter if you choose to drizzle them with chocolate or set them into a chocolate bath, they are equally delicious!
Macaroons should not be confused with macarons. The difference between macaroons and macarons:
- Macaroons are coconut based and are chewy in the middle.
- Macrons are a French sandwich cookie with a tender meringue outside and are often filled with buttercream frosting.
Chocolate dipped coconut macaroons are typically what you’ll see at the bakery and they are usually about the size of an egg, which is pretty big. So one is all you need!
How to Make Coconut Macaroons
This coconut macaroon recipe is chock-full of flaked coconut, gooey sweetened condensed milk and an optional addition of chocolate. Chocolate and coconut are the perfect combination (just like our favorite Mounds Brownies).
You’ll only need 5 ingredients to prep this easy recipe!
- Mix: Mix all the ingredients together.
- Make: Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment paper.
- Bake: Bake until the edges are just beginning to brown. Be careful not to over bake! Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
For chocolate coconut macaroons, you can either dip them in a chocolate bath, or drizzle chocolate over the tops (or both). Either way, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips with oil (this keeps the chocolate from cracking) in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds until the chocolate is fully melted.
- For dipped macaroons – carefully dip the bottom of each fully cooled macaroon in the melted chocolate and place on a parchment lined pan.
- For chocolate drizzled macaroons -simply drizzle the melted chocolate over each macaroon using a spoon. You can also create a simple piping bag to drizzle the chocolate by adding the melted chocolate to a zippered bag with a small corner cut off.
No matter which method you choose, you may want to place macaroons in a refrigerator to harden the chocolate before storing.
Storing Coconut Macaroons is simple and easy, just remember to keep them cool, away from direct heat and in an airtight container. Macaroons are a soft cookie and will melt easily if they are not kept cool!
Can You Freeze Coconut Macaroons?
You bet! This sweet treat like many cookies is a snap to freeze either before baking or once they are completely cooled.
- Before Baking: Simply stack them in an airtight container with parchment between each layer to prevent the cookies from sticking to each other. To bake, place on a baking sheet as the recipe instructs and add a couple extra minutes to the bake time. What a great way to enjoy freshly baked macaroons anytime!
- After Baking: I like to freeze them on a baking sheet and once frozen, transfer to a zippered bag for long term storage. To thaw, just let them come to room temperature on the counter and enjoy!
Coconut Macaroons are the perfect treat to welcome your kids home after school and they are nut free so they are school lunch box friendly too!
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Macaroons (No Bake) – Ready in 15 minutes!
- Almond Coconut Macaroons – If you love coconut you will love these!
- No Bake Oatmeal Cookies – No oven! Perfect for summer!
- Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies – Classic no bake cookie recipe!
- Extra Chewy Rice Krispie Treats – Kid friendly treat!
Easy Coconut Macaroons
- 5 ½ cups flaked coconut
- ⅔ cup flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Optional Chocolate Dip or Drizzle
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine coconut, flour and salt.
- Mix in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheet (about 1" balls).
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until browned on the edges. Cool completely.
Optional Chocolate Dip or Drizzle
- Microwave chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl at 50% power until almost melted, about 60-80 seconds stirring occasionally.
- Dip the bottom of each cooled macaroon into the chocolate and place on a parchment lined pan. Drizzle with remaining chocolate if desired.
- Refrigerate to set chocolate.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.