Carrot banana bread is incredibly easy and, you won’t have to decide whether to make banana bread or carrot cake. It is the best of both worlds, banana bread with a filling of carrots, walnuts, and coconut in a moist, deluxe batter.
Carrots from the garden add that simple home-cooked taste to so many classic recipes like carrot cake cupcakes or creamy carrot salad. With this recipe, you can also use up those bananas that stayed on the counter a little too long.
Ingredients in Carrot Banana Bread
- Bananas and Carrots make for a taste-of-home blend of sweetness and garden-fresh goodness and heaps of moisture.
- Chopped Walnuts add a savory crunch and turn this into a hearty bread that will keep you going for hours! Walnuts are excellent brain food, so this is a good dessert to pack in your kid’s lunches.
- Flaked Coconut adds an extra layer of flavor. You can use shredded coconut, but flaked coconut is a nice texture alongside the shredded carrots.
- Mayonnaise?! It might seem strange, but mayonnaise is the secret ingredient and adds so much moisture to this cake! It is really just eggs and oil, which is put into cakes all the time.
How To Make Banana Carrot Bread
This simple banana carrot bread recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Mash bananas with mayo and egg. If using frozen bananas, allow them to defrost before starting the cake.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir in the banana mixture just until incorporated. Over-mixing can cause quick bread to become too dense and heavy, so don’t worry about mixing “perfectly.”
- Fold in the nuts and pour into the prepared pan.
That’s all there is to it!
The Best Way to Store It
Carrot Banana bread will keep on the counter wrapped in foil, saran wrap, or in an airtight container for a few days. You can extend the expiry date by keeping it in the fridge for up to a week.
Personally, I like to keep it wrapped in foil on the counter. And to be honest, it’s not going to last a week in my house anyway! It will disappear into hungry tummies long before unless I hide it in the freezer!
Carrot Banana bread is one of those wonderful foods that freeze beautifully. I like to cut it into slices and wrap them individually in wax paper with a layer of foil on top. Then all I have to do is pull it out and pop it in the kid’s lunch for a healthy and delicious treat!
Or, freeze it whole and take it out when you have guests you were too busy to bake for. Top it with cream cheese frosting, and it will taste just as good or better than it did on the day you made it!
More Delicious Quick Breads
- Lemon Blueberry Bread – bright & citrusy flavors
- Chocolate Banana Bread – rich decadent dessert
- Pumpkin Zucchini Bread – loaded with flavor and spices!
- Warm Apple Bread – sweet & crunchy cinnamon topping!
- Zucchini Bread – crazy moist!
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – chock full of chocolate chips
- Carrot Bread – carrots, spice, and everything nice!
Did your family love this Banana Carrot Bread? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Carrot Banana Bread
- 3 medium bananas mashed
- ½ cup mayonnaise or dressing
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup flaked coconut
- ½ cup carrots shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x4 pan with parchment paper.
- Combine mashed bananas, mayonnaise and egg in a small bowl.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in banana mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in walnut, coconut and carrots.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.