Loaded baked potatoes are stuffed with cheesy, creamy goodness for the ultimate comfort food.
These beauties can be made in large batches ahead of time and frozen meaning you can just pop them in the oven while your steaks are on the grill!
Ingredients & Optional Add-Ins
Choose a high-starch potato like a russet (or baking potato). Russets have a thick skin that holds up well to baking and filling. The starchy flesh makes perfect mashed potatoes.
If you use other types of potatoes, leave a bit of a thicker skin so they hold their shape while being filled.
Insides from potatoes, sour cream, butter, cheese, and salt & pepper are all mixed together to create this yummy, savory ‘stuffing’!
Sour cream is the secret ingredient in loaded baked potatoes! Try greek yogurt for a slightly tangier version! Why not try sweet potatoes for a fun twist? Keep the mashed potato mixture a little chunky or super creamy.
This is the fun part. Bacon crumbles, green onions, shredded cheese, bits of broccoli, or even cheese sauce! Chili, beans or salsa would all taste great too. The sky is the limit!
How to Make Loaded Baked Potatoes
While it does take a bit of time loaded potatoes are easy to make.
- Make baked potatoes (you can even do this in the air fryer, microwave or slow cooker).
- Cut each potato lengthwise, scoop out the insides and combine with remaining ingredients (per recipe below).
- Return the mashed potatoes to the insides of the shells and rebake.
Viola! Potato perfection!
Tips for Perfection
- Look for potatoes that are firm, clean, and without eyes (the offshoots).
- Scrub them under water and pat dry before preparing, so that the skins can be eaten along with the insides.
- Remember to poke potatoes with a fork so the steam can escape and the heat can evenly penetrate the flesh. Otherwise, potatoes can explode in the oven creating a mess!
- No need to wrap them in aluminum foil, but space them evenly apart in a baking dish.
More Amazing Spuds
Did you make these Loaded Baked Potatoes? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Loaded Baked Potatoes
- 4 medium baking potatoes scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 6 cloves roasted garlic finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Poke holes with a fork. Coat the outside of each potato with olive oil and salt to taste. Bake 50-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool about 20 minutes.
- Cut each potato in 1/2 lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh leaving a 1/8" shell.
- Combine the scooped potato with sour cream, butter and salt & pepper to taste. Mash until smooth.
- Add desired add-ins and stir to combine. Spoon filling into each potato skin and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)