Creamy Asparagus Soup is a great way to indulge in the sweet, tender stalks of asparagus that are everywhere right now. Made with fresh asparagus, heavy cream and sprinkled with parmesan cheese this soup is delicious served hot or cold!
What’s in Asparagus Soup?
The asparagus itself is the real star here, just a few blending ingredients like chicken broth, cream, and some butter make the base savory. A dash of seasonings bring out the full flavors whether it’s served hot or cold!
If asparagus is not as plentiful, simply add some boiled and pureed russet potatoes to the asparagus soup at the end and mix well.
To Make Asparagus Soup…
This is no ordinary canned cream of asparagus soup. It’s loaded of fresh ingredients and full of flavor!
- Prep: Wash and trim the last inch off each asparagus spear. Pat dry and then cut each stalk into ½ inch pieces.
- Cook: Cook onion & garlic in butter (per recipe below) until tender and fragrant. Add asparagus and cook until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients, cover and let cook until asparagus is soft.
- Puree: Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot until it is completely smooth. If potatoes are used, this is the time to puree those in as well! Stir in the cream and lemon juice.
Serve hot garnished with parmesan cheese or a slice of garlic bread to soak up every last drop!
How To Reheat Asparagus Soup
Reheating asparagus soup is a snap when using the microwave or stovetop. Make sure it is fully mixed and heat on low to avoid overcooking the cream. Adjust the seasonings!
This would be a good time to top with some parmesan croutons or deep fried onion pieces to give it a little more flavor!
Can It Be Frozen?
Asparagus soup is cream based and cream-based soups don’t freeze well so if you’re going to freeze this soup, freeze a portion before adding the cream! Simply defrost, reheat and add a splash of cream before serving.
More Delicious Creamy Soups
- Fresh Tomato Soup – made with roasted fresh garden tomatoes!
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – ready in 20 mins!
- Creamy Carrot Soup – easy, healthy & delicious
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – packed with flavor!
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup – silky smooth soup
Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 1 1/2 lb asparagus trimmed and washed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth (not low sodium)
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or to taste
- parmesan cheese for serving optional
- Cut asparagus into 1/2" pieces.
- Cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender. Add asparagus and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, salt & pepper. Cover and let simmer 10-15 minutes or until asparagus is softened.
- Using a hand blender, puree soup until smooth. Stir in cream and lemon juice.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.