When it comes to desserts this Southern homemade recipe is the best! Not only is it easy to prep and bake but it will bring rave reviews!
How to Make Pecan Pie
The best pecan pie filling takes fewer ingredients and less time than you think!
- Line a pie plate with parchment paper and set the crust in the bottom (see recipe below).
- Whisk together remaining ingredients (except pecans) until smooth. This is where you might add chocolate syrup or chocolate chips for a delicious chocolate version.
- Stir in pecans and pour into the prepared crust.
FLAVOR TIP: While this is optional, for crunchy and more flavorful pecans, saute pecans in a small skillet until they are lightly browned. This releases their flavor and keeps them extra crunchy!
Bake about 1 hour or until the filling is set. Cool completely (at least 2 hours) and then serve this pecan pie as the perfect end to any meal! Top it with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or ice cream.
How to Tell When Pecan Pie is Done
To tell if pecan pie is done, the edges should be set and the center should appear mostly set but should have a very slight jiggle with a gentle shake. The pie will be puffed up and will settle slightly upon cooling. It should take about an hour to bake and a couple of hours or so to cool.
How to Store Pecan Pie
To Make Pecan Pie Ahead of time prepare and bake the pie as directed. Store as directed below (use the same storage directions for both make ahead and leftovers).
- Countertop: According to Foodsafety.gov, this pie can be stored on the countertop for a couple of hours. If you keep it on the countertop, make sure it is covered and away from heat.
- Fridge: Pecan Pie can be stored in the fridge loosely covered with plastic wrap for 3-4 days. Allow it to come to room temperature before serving.
- To Freeze Pecan Pie: Cool completely and seal well with plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Freeze for up to one month.
As with most pie recipes, this is delicious topped with freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. My husband actually pours a little bit of heavy cream overtop!
More Delicious Pie Recipes
- Traditional Apple Pie – a Thanksgiving must!
- Sweet Potato Pie – so easy and delicious
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe – staple of autumn
- Apple Crumb Pie – sweet cinnamon kissed apples!
- Pumpkin Cheesecake – only 5 minutes of prep!
Classic Pecan Pie
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecans chopped coarsely
- 9 inch pie crust unbaked
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make pie crust and line a 9" pie plate.
Place eggs in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined, whisk in cornstarch. Add sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. Mix well.
Stir in pecans and pour into prepared pie crust.
Bake pie 55-65 minutes, or until filling is set. Cool completely, at least 2 hours.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)