Cabbage Roll Casserole combines layers of meat sauce, rice and cabbage all topped with cheese and baked in the oven!
Your family will absolutely love this adaptation of the classic cabbage roll!
Cabbage Roll Casserole is so easy to prepare that it is perfect for a busy weeknight meal!
Growing up cabbage rolls were something my Grandma and my mom both made quite often.
When I had a family of my own, I made cabbage rolls for them as well but that meant boiling the whole head of cabbage and making the rolls. I adapted my recipe to make a layered casserole which not only is super easy but is so delicious!
I haven’t made it for a long time, but I came across this Cabbage Roll Casserole from Skinny Taste I knew I had to make it again!
For those of you who prefer to cook it in the slow cooker, here is a SLOW COOKER CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE RECIPE!
My grandma always used ground pork in her cabbage rolls but I prefer a combination of beef and pork. I have made this recipe very low carb by replacing the rice with riced cauliflower and even the kids gobbled it up that way!
While cabbage rolls don’t traditionally have cheese on top my kids really like like it, so I do sometimes top it with cheese… but that part is definitely optional!
Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground pork or beef
- 1 large onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 large head cabbage
- 2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups gruyere or monterey jack cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- Brown beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat. Stir in tomatoes (including juice), tomato paste, seasoning and tomato sauce. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add rice.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop cabbage, rinse and shake dry. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet and add ½ of the cabbage. Cook just until softened (about 5 minutes). Repeat with remaining cabbage.
- Place ½ of the cabbage in a large casserole dish. Top with ½ of the meat sauce. Repeat layers. Cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine cheese, egg and milk. Remove foil, top casserole with cheese mixture and bake uncovered an additional 20 minutes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Here are a few more recipes you’ll love