Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Soup is a simple twist on traditional Cabbage Rolls, a family favorite for years! Cabbage, onion, beef and bacon all tenderly prepared in a rich beef and tomato broth, slowly simmered in your crock pot.
This creates a nutritious and tasty soup that will warm your belly from the inside out! This is going to be your new family favorite meal!
Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
I absolutely LOVE a good soup recipe. Soups are a great way to incorporate so many delicious flavors into one bowl. They’re easy to make and inexpensive, there’s good reason my Easy Hamburger Soup recipe is one of my most popular recipes on Facebook!
Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Soup contains several servings of veggies along with lean protein all simmered to perfection. We serve this alongside homemade Dinner Rolls for a meal that my family requests over and over again!
A Family Favorite
Growing up with Polish grandparents, cabbage rolls (and Cabbage and Noodles aka Haluski) were a staple in our family for both family gatherings and Sunday dinner. It was always one of my favorite things!
Traditional cabbage rolls are time-consuming – between preparing the filling, cooking the cabbage till tender and then there is the labour rolling them – whew! Of course, we make Cabbage Roll Casserole which is the lazy cabbage roll version with no rolling required.
As much as I love cabbage rolls (and unstuffed cabbage roll casserole), there really is nothing better than coming home to a meal ready to eat.
Cabbage is easy to prepare and inexpensive (view more info in the The Ultimate Guide to Cabbage).This Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup is the answer to rushed meal prep on busy weeknights!
Simply prepare your ingredients the evening before and quickly toss them into the crockpot before leaving the house for school or work or carrying on with your errands, soccer practice and swim lessons.
Dinner is ready when you are!
Easy Substitutions in Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
- Ground Beef: You can substitute sausage, ground pork or ground turkey for half of the ground beef.
- Rice: To make this Cabbage Roll Soup lower in carbs, substitute the rice for Cauliflower Rice (this also lowers the calories or points if you’re following Weight Watchers).
- Diced Tomatoes: If you prefer whole canned tomatoes to diced, they also work great in this recipe.
- V8 Vegetable Juice: You Can use tomato juice in place of the vegetable juice or even canned tomato soup. (Do not substitute tomato sauce, it has a different flavor).
- Sodium: The low sodium/no sodium versions of all products in this soup work perfectly.
All the flavour and goodness of traditional cabbage rolls simmered together in one delicious bowl of crock pot cabbage roll soup! And the very best thing is it’s so easy!
Add the Bacon
Depending where you’re from, you may or may not add bacon to your cabbage rolls. It is used in this soup to add a slight smoky and salty flavor. We fry the bacon until crisp and then use a little bit of the bacon fat to cook the onion and beef. The bacon itself is stirred in just before serving (and used as a garnish) to keep it nice and crisp.
How to Freeze Cabbage Roll Soup
This Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Soup makes a HUGE batch of soup, perfect for feeding a crowd, eating a couple of nights in a row or taking for lunches. If you have leftovers, this soup also freezes well. I just simply spoon the desired amount in a freezer bag lay it flat to freeze (either large or individual servings).
If I’m feeding the family, I defrost it in the fridge the night before and dinner is ready to heat and eat in a flash!
Once you try it, I know for sure this Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup is going to become a staple to your weekly menu plan. Warm, hearty and wholesome.
More Recipes from the Cabbage Patch
- Creamy Sausage & Cabbage Soup – 5 Star Recipe! Easy and so delicious!
- Cabbage and Sausage Foil Packets – Grill or bake!
- Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe (video)
- Braised Red Cabbage – Perfect side dish!
- The Best Coleslaw Recipe – Make ahead – great for potlucks or topping pulled pork!
- Colcannon Recipe (Cabbage and Potatoes) – Comfort food to the max!
Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 pound thick bacon diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ⅔ cup uncooked long grain rice
- 6-8 cups cabbage chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces tomato soup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5-6 cups beef broth
- 1 ½ cups V8 or other vegetable juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels leaving about 1 tablespoon bacon grease in the skillet.
- Brown onion and beef in the bacon fat. Once browned, drain excess fat and add to a 6qt (or larger) slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the low cooker and stir to combine (it will be very full).
- Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours until rice is fully cooked.
- Stir in half of cooked bacon.
- Spoon into bowls, top with remaining bacon and parsley if desired.
- This can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, and reheated on the stove.
- This will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Another excellent recipe Holly, both easy and tasty. Thank you so much.
This is the 2nd time I have made this recipe and it is very very good!!! The 1st time I made it I added the rice into the slow cooker as the recipe suggested and it was extremely mushy by the end of the cook. The 2nd time which was just today I just made the rice on the side and added it to the bowl and pour the soup over it I recommend doing it that way to save your rice from becoming super clumpy and thick. I also used klamato juice instead of V8 because I had that on hand. Over all it is just a great recipe!!! We’ll make again and again :)
I also used Clamato juice this time (2nd time) and like you, waited to the last hour of cooking to add the cooked rice into the crotch pot. Turned out excellent without the mushy rice. Flavorful, filling and warming after a cool winters day of working outdoors. Goes great with garlic/swiss cheese toast prepped in the air fryer
Just made this and it turned out amazing! 10/10 will make again!
I would love to have this recipe
Are you able to substitute the tomato soup and vegetable juice for pasta sauce instead?
Sure you can. It will change the flavor slightly and might be a bit tangier but will be delicious.
Would this fit in a 4qt crock pot?
I would suggest halving the recipe in a 4qt slow cooker.
Love all the recipes
Like to learn how to make different type of new recipes.
You’ve come to the right place Lai! You’ll find plenty of recipes to chose from at Spend With Pennies!
I made mine with a little different ingredients, but really turned out good.
On the cabbage roll soup, can you leave out the rice? Would it effect the taste too much? Don’t like cauliflower rice either.
You can omit the rice if you’d like Sharon, and increase the cabbage if you prefer. Your soup will have a bit more liquid without the rice.
I haven’t made this yet, but it looks delicious! Will be making it this weekend. I just have a question, if it’s possible to be answered here. Will this recipe work in a 6 qt slow cooker? The inner part of my large crockpot broke last week. Just wondering if I need to get a bigger one
Yes, this fits in a 6qt slow cooker.