Buttermilk pie is an easy classic dessert made with simple pantry ingredients! The result is a deliciously comforting custard pie with a slightly caramelized topping. This pie will be one your family will request over and over!
This pie is amazing. It’s pure classic comfort… a vanilla flavored custard type pie with a slightly caramelized top. You don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients to create something amazing and you’ll likely have everything you need on hand for this dessert.
I have an old box of vintage recipes loaded with tons of classic desserts and meals. I could literally spend an entire day just reading through them all! Some of them I just look at and laugh (tuna jelly mold salad …. umm, I’ll pass thanks) but I’ve found some pretty incredible recipes hidden in there like Watergate Cookies!
I personally LOVE buttermilk as an ingredient in baking and in fresh recipes like homemade ranch dressing so I knew this recipe was one I had to make!After a couple of tests and a few little tweaks, I feel like this is literally the most perfect pie.
I use a store bought pie crust making this extra quick, it’s ready to go in the oven in under 10 minutes! It’s going to be a family recipe I’ll make often because it’s easy and everyone absolutely LOVED it!
- 3 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 9 inch unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- LIne a 9″ pie plate with a single pie crust (store bought or homemade).
- Beat eggs until foamy. Beat in butter, flour and sugar until fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour into prepared crust and bake for 45-55 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love
Easy as Pie Pumpkin Cheesecake!