Buttermilk pie is an easy classic dessert made with simple pantry ingredients! The result is a deliciously comforting custard pie with a slightly caramelized topping. This pie will be one your family will request over and over!
This pie is amazing. It’s pure classic comfort… a vanilla flavored custard type pie with a slightly caramelized top. You don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients to create something amazing and you’ll likely have everything you need on hand for this dessert.
I have an old box of vintage recipes loaded with tons of classic desserts and meals. I could literally spend an entire day just reading through them all! Some of them I just look at and laugh (tuna jelly mold salad …. umm, I’ll pass thanks) but I’ve found some pretty incredible recipes hidden in there like Watergate Cookies!
I personally LOVE buttermilk as an ingredient in baking and in fresh recipes like homemade ranch dressing so I knew this recipe was one I had to make!After a couple of tests and a few little tweaks, I feel like this is literally the most perfect pie.
I use a store bought pie crust making this extra quick, it’s ready to go in the oven in under 10 minutes! It’s going to be a family recipe I’ll make often because it’s easy and everyone absolutely LOVED it!
- 1 9 inch unbaked pie crust store-bought or homemade
- 3 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9″ pie plate with unbaked pie crust.
- Beat eggs in a bowl until foamy. Beat in butter, sugar, and flour until fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour into prepared crust and bake for 45-55 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love
Easy as Pie Pumpkin Cheesecake!