Bubble and Squeak is an easy hash style meal using boiled potatoes, ham and cabbage. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this is a great way to use up any kind of leftover meat, veggies, or potatoes!
Simply season, fry and enjoy!
What is Bubble and Squeak?
Bubble and Squeak is a hearty English breakfast dish made with potatoes, cabbage, and optional meat like bacon or sausage. This is where the leftovers part comes in! Whatever was left from dinner the night before gets added with the rest of the recipe ingredients.
Cabbage Just like a Colcannon recipe, this dish combines both cabbage and potatoes in the base. Cut the cabbage into thin slices or even use coleslaw mix if you’re in a hurry.
Potatoes This recipe traditionally uses boiled potatoes but any leftover spuds will do from mashed to scalloped to roasted! You can leave them kind of chunky like you would home fries or smash them up to make a mashed mixture.
How to Make Bubble and Squeak
This recipe offers a quick turn-around while it bubbles and squeaks on the stovetop. Perfect for those busy, busy mornings (or evenings)!
- Cook cabbage until tender. Cook bacon in a frying pan.
- Saute onions in the bacon fat and stir in the potatoes and leftover veggies and lightly mash them together.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until browned.
You can also bake bubble and squeak in the oven but make sure the oven is already pre-heated so the casserole cooks quickly.
How to Serve Bubble and Squeak
Bubble and squeak is hearty enough to make for lunch or even a light dinner served with a crisp salad and some breadsticks! Tasty, and oh, so versatile!
What About the Leftovers?
This is made from leftovers but also reheats well once combined! Several hours or a few days in the refrigerator (tightly covered, of course) will allow the flavors to blend together more, making it all the better!
- To reheat, just pop it into the microwave or reheat on the stove and refresh the flavors with a dash of salt and pepper!
- To freeze place in airtight freezer containers and label with the date. Simple, savory, and satisfying for another day!
Delicious Breakfast Dishes
- Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole – loaded with hearty ingredients!
- French Toast Casserole – light & fluffy french toast!
- Denver Egg Casserole – quick & simple egg casserole
- Blueberry French Toast Bake – make-ahead breakfast casserole!
- Copy Cat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole – easy & cheesy
Bubble and Squeak
- 6 cups cabbage thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 3 cups cooked potatoes see note
- 1 cup leftover vegetables optional
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper
- Place cabbage and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cook bacon in a frying pan. Once crisp, remove from pan and add onions to the drippings. Cook until tender.
- Stir in potatoes and vegetables; give them a bit of a mash. Add cooked cabbage and ham. Season with salt & pepper.
- Cook until browned adding a bit of butter if needed.
- To cook potatoes: peel, chop and boil potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Leftover mashed potatoes, roasted or boiled work too.