Italian Subs are a super yummy sandwich! Piled high with fresh ingredients, a variety of sliced meats, and creamy cheeses, everyone loves these.
Make individual sandwiches or create an Italian Sub loaf to feed a crowd!
What’s On An Italian Sub?
Any sub can be made with a variety of meats, cheeses, and veggies. An Italian sandwich will have all those Mediterranean meats like capicola or salami. Italian cheeses like provolone and mozzarella are the best for this sub. Visit your local deli counter and see what they have, even better if you have an Italian market nearby.
Italian subs are meant to be piled high and fully loaded with flavor, so don’t be shy!
The Best Bread To Use
You’ve got to have bread that can hold all the meats and cheeses without falling apart.
Hoagie rolls, sub rolls, or even dense sourdough bread are all sturdy enough to hold in all of that sammy goodness!
How To Make an Italian Sub
Simple to make, these can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for a few days. If prepping in advance, ensure that the veggies are in the middle so they don’t make the rolls soggy.
- Prep Rolls: Split the rolls apart and lightly toast them if desired. Spread with mayonnaise or any other dressing of your choice.
- Pile it on: Layer meats, cheeses, veggies (per recipe below). Drizzle with Italian vinaigrette.
- Serve: Serve whole or cut into smaller pieces and serve on a platter.
For best results, build Italian subs in advance and wrap tightly in plastic wrap to let the ingredients meld in the fridge for an hour before serving.
Delicious Sub Toppings
Here are some favorite toppings for Italian sub sandwiches. Don’t be afraid to get creative with whatever is on hand!
- Sliced tomatoes, sprinkle cut tomatoes with salt and set them on a paper towel. The salt will help evaporate some of the tomato juice so the tomatoes aren’t so wet in the sandwich
- Shredded lettuce or prepared coleslaw
- Fresh spinach, sliced avocado
- Thinly sliced/roasted zucchini, mushrooms, onions, eggplant
- Black olives, sliced jalapenos
- Pepperoncini, pickles or banana peppers
- Stone Ground Mustard
- Spicy mustard
- Pickle relish
- Giardiniera – Italian relish of pickled vegetables
- Aioli – make your own with roasted garlic and salt and pepper
- Italian or balsamic dressing
More Super Sandwiches
- French Dip Sandwich
- Classic Tuna Salad
- Turkey Sandwich
- Reuben sandwich
- Best Egg Salad
- Ham Salad
- Perfect BLT Sandwich
Italian Sub Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or to taste
- 2 ounces provolone cheese
- 2 ounces ham
- 2 ounces mortadella
- 2 ounces Genoa salami
- 2 ounces capicollo
- 1 ½ cups romaine lettuce shredded
- 2 large tomatoes thickly sliced
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing
- ¼ cup pickled peppers or banana peppers
- 2 large sub rolls
- Open sub rolls and lightly toast if desired. Spread with mayonnaise.
- Layer cheeses, meats, lettuce, onion and tomatoes on the rolls.
- Drizzle with Italian vinaigrette and peppers.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)