Boiled sweet potatoes are a foolproof method for making a colorful side dish packed with nutrition!
Low in calories with a mildly sweet flavor, this easy recipe shows you how to cook boiled sweet potatoes and then use them all week long in so many ways! Cubed or mashed, fried, roasted, or even baked whole, sweet potatoes are a delicious way to stretch your food dollars too!
Perfect Boiled Sweet Potatoes
As much as we love sweet potato casserole, sometimes we love this simple veggie on its own simply boiled and seasoned.
Boiling instead of baking saves on cook time and oven space.
Sweet Potatoes This is the most basic method consisting of sweet potatoes, butter, and salt and pepper.
Variations Once they are prepared, they can be topped with any variety of seasonings or sauces. Maple syrup, honey, sage, and tarragon are commonly paired with sweet potatoes, but feel free to get creative with anything you have on hand!
They are delicious with butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar or apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice.
How to Make Boiled Sweet Potatoes
Boiled sweet potatoes are super easy and ready in 1-2-3!
- Scrub and dice sweet potatoes into evenly sized cubes.
- Place them in cold, salted water and bring to a boil. Sweet potatoes are done when they are fork-tender.
- Drain, mash if desired and season with butter, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Put raw cubed potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl or casserole dish.
- Add 1 ½ inches of water to the dish and cover with plastic wrap. Poke holes in the plastic wrap so it can vent.
- Microwave on high for about 3 to 5 minutes or until they are tender.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap, drain, and serve with butter, salt, and pepper.
PRO TIP: Freeze mashed sweet potatoes in ice cube trays and pop one or two out to add to soups, stews, and casseroles for a little flavor and nutrition boost!
Sweet Potato Favorites
- Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole – perfect holiday side dish
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes – only 4 ingredients
- Classic Sweet Potato Pie – so easy to make
- Baked Sweet Potato – add sweet or savory toppings
- Sweet Potato Casserole – crockpot version
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes – quick & easy
Did you make these Boiled Sweet Potatoes? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Boiled Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1" chunks.
- Place potatoes in cold salted water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook 18-20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Place potatoes in a strainer and drain well.
- Mash if desired and stir in butter, salt & pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!