BLT Grilled Cheese is an all-American sammy that everyone loves. It’s a delicious combination of a BLT and a grilled cheese sandwich – who would have thought to combine two of the most iconic sandwiches.
Whether making a classic grilled cheese sandwich or making a fun dill pickle bacon grilled cheese, these sandwiches are always welcomed at the table. Especially when served with a hot bowl of fresh tomato soup.
What’s in a BLT Grilled Cheese?
This BLT grilled cheese sandwich is made with crispy bacon, fresh tomatoes, and thick slices of cheddar and mozzarella cheese all on toasted sourdough bread.
What a great way to use up those garden-ripe tomatoes and spinach! And don’t get too picky about the bacon, the thinner the better for a great salty crunch!
Go for some good quality sourdough bread. Preferably from an uncut loaf so you can control the width of the slices.
The Secret to a Perfect Grilled Cheese
Remember how we were taught to butter the bread on the outside before putting it in the skillet? Turns out, mayonnaise is even better! Unlike butter, it won’t burn as quickly and it creates a perfect crisp crust.
Cook low and slow so the crust doesn’t burn while the sandwich gets melted inside.
Will the Spinach Wilt?
This bacon lettuce tomato grilled chilled cheese has a spot of spinach in it for a pop of color and flavor. As expected, it will wilt a little bit in the skillet.
How to Make a Grilled BLT with Cheese
- Sprinkle the sliced tomato with a little salt and set aside to drain, about 10 minutes (per printable recipe below). This removes the juices so you don’t get a soggy sandwich.
- Layer cheeses and BLT.
- Cook until lightly grilled.
More Grilled Cheese-y Cravings
- Grilled Cheese with Tomato – crunchy & fresh sandwich
- Bacon Grilled Cheese – a magical combination of bacon & cheese!
- Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese – creamy, cheesy, and a little spicy
- Pizza Grilled Cheese – ready in under 15 mins!
- Grilled Cheese Roll Ups – easy to hold twist!
BLT Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large tomato
- 4 slices bacon cut in half
- ½ cup fresh spinach or arugula
- 2 oz cheddar cheese
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese
- Slice tomato 1/4" thick and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place on paper towels and let drain 10 minutes.
- Spread mayonnaise over one side of each slice of bread (this will be the outside of the sandwich).
- Place 1 slice of cheddar on each slice of bread. Add tomato slices, bacon and spinach. Top with mozzarella cheese and remaining slice of bread.
- Preheat a small skillet over low heat.
- Grill until golden on one side, about 4-5 minutes.
- Flip and grill the other side until golden.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!