Grilled Cheese with Tomato is the ultimate comfort food, it doesn’t matter if you are an oldster or a youngster. Soft sourdough bread grilled with gruyere, cheddar cheese, and tomato is always the perfect lunch or snack!
It’s all about the cheese when it comes to the best grilled cheese sandwich!
How to Make a Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
A pan-fried grilled cheese with mayo and tomato looks just as good on a plate as it tastes! Why not try a grilled cheese with bacon and tomato for a heartier version?
- Sprinkle salt on sliced tomatoes and let drain. This helps it stay a little drier so the tomatoes don’t leak all over the bread.
- Spread mayonnaise on the outside of each slice of sourdough bread. Mayonnaise helps the bread get toasty, whereas butter will burn before the cheese is melted all the way.
- Place a slice of cheddar, tomato, basil on each slice of bread and sprinkle with gruyere.
To Cook: Place, mayo side down, on a heated skillet and fry until golden brown. Turn sandwich over and fry on the other side. Both sides should be equally browned and the cheese melted just enough to squeeze out the sides of the sandwich.
Tip: To speed up the frying process, cover the pan for a few minutes, this will help melt the cheese a bit faster.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
Everyone knows it’s a tradition for a grilled cheese sandwich to be paired with creamy tomato soup, of course! It’s a perfect combination of crunchy and creamy, great for a busy weekday or rainy day!
Grilled Cheese Heaven!
- Dill Pickle Bacon Grilled Cheese – just 6 ingredients!
- Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese – crispy exterior with a creamy inside!
- Pizza Grilled Cheese – ready in under 15 mins
- Grilled Mac and Cheese Sandwich – two childhood favorites combined!
- Grilled Cheese Roll Ups– fun twist on a classic grilled cheese
Grilled Cheese with Tomato
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese sliced
- 2 ounces gruyere cheese or mozzarella, grated
- pinch of dried basil
- Slice tomato ¼" thick and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place on paper towels and let drain 10 minutes.
- Spread mayonnaise over the outside of each slice of bread.
- Place 1 slice of cheddar on each slice of bread. Add tomato slices and basil. Top with gruyere and remaining slice of bread.
- Preheat a small skillet over low heat. Place mayonnaise side down in the skillet.
- Grill until golden, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and grill the other side until golden.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!