Baked Chicken Thighs are a delicious and very simple main dish. These chicken thighs have a perfectly crispy skin and extra juicy meat! They are perfect served alongside mashed potatoes or Scalloped Potatoes.
Cook up a large batch to feed a hungry crowd, add to your favorite Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup or freeze the leftovers for another meal. Oven baked chicken thighs can stay frozen for up to four months. Just thaw and then wrap in foil for reheating.
Baked Chicken Thighs
Chicken thighs are sold with bone in and skin on, or boneless and skinless. They are dark meat making them extra flavorful, they contain more fat which ensures they bake up succulent and tasty. Thighs are more forgiving than Chicken Breasts which can more easily be overcooked.
In this recipe, I choose skin on (because it tastes amazing and makes the chicken extremely juicy). As with any meat cooked on the bone, this has tons of flavor. I love using chicken seasoning or Italian seasoning in this recipe, but feel free to change it up to suit your taste buds!
How to Bake Chicken Thighs
For the juiciest oven baked chicken thighs, choose bone in and skin on. The skin crisps up nicely, and the bone imparts more flavor while keeping the meat moist. A high temperature helps crisp the skin (my favorite part).
For easy baked bone in chicken thighs, follow these simple steps:
- Pat each thigh dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken thighs in a bowl and toss with olive oil and a generous amount of seasonings.
- Line a pan with foil and add a rack. Place chicken (skin side up) on the rack.
- Bake until chicken reaches 165°F.
How Long to Bake Chicken Thighs
Baked bone in chicken thighs require about 35 minutes baking time at a high temperature. Bake them until the juices run clear, and there is no more pink at the bone. Keep in mind that boneless skinless chicken thighs will require about 10 minutes less time.
- Chicken Thighs at 350°F – 50-55 minutes
- Chicken Thighs at 375°F – 45-50 minutes
- Chicken Thighs at 400°F – 40-45 minutes
- Chicken Thighs at 425°F – 35-40 minutes
Chicken thighs may vary in size so it’s a good idea to use a meat thermometer any time you are cooking poultry. The safe cooking temperature for chicken is 165°F.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- How to Make Poached Chicken – great for shredding or salads!
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts – simple and healthy
- Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- How to Boil Chicken
- Easy Grilled Chicken Breast – super easy
Baked Chicken Thighs
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs with skin (approx. 5-6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons chicken seasoning or Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a pan with foil and place a baking rack on top.
- Dab chicken skin dry with a paper towel to remove any moisture.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and season with seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place on the rack and bake 35-40 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Broil 2-3 minutes to crisp if needed.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)