Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms the perfect dish when you’re in the mood for a satisfying comfort meal. Tender chicken breasts are smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce flavored with a splash of white wine and crumbled bacon.
To Make Chicken and Mushrooms
Mushroom chicken is not complicated but requires a few steps. First, prep the chicken by filleting the breasts and then pounding them between two sheets of plastic wrap to flatten to ½ inch thick.
- Brown chicken in a pan.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and mushrooms until softened and stir in white wine and cream.
- Simmer a few minutes and add chicken until heated through.
An alternative method for reheating is to place the chicken fillets in a baking dish after sautéing. Place the dish in a low oven to keep warm while preparing the mushroom sauce. Then raise the heat to 350°F and spoon the sauce over the top and bake until bubbling.
What to Serve it Over
How to Reheat Creamy Sauce
If you want to make the sauce ahead of time, you’ll need to reheat it.
To do so, place in a pan and warm over low heat without allowing it to boil. When the sauce is steaming hot but not bubbling, add the chicken cutlets and heat through.
My Favorite Sides for Chicken and Mushrooms
Mushroom chicken bake is a sensational main dish, well deserving of a savory roasted side dish to complement its rich heartiness.
Must-Try Chicken Recipes
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts – classic delicious meal!
- Baked Chicken Thighs – oven roasted family favorite
- Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Thighs – sweet & flavorful marinade!
- Baked Bruschetta Chicken – tender balsamic marinated chicken
- Santa Fe Chicken Foil Packets – cook in the oven, grill or campfire!
Chicken and Mushrooms with Bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 slices uncooked bacon diced
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 6 oz mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pound chicken to 1/2″ thick between pieces of plastic wrap. Dredge chicken in flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook about 6-7 minutes per side until cooked through (165°F). Remove from pan and set aside to keep warm.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside. Add onions and cook in bacon fat until tender. Stir in mushrooms & garlic and cook until mushrooms are browned. Remove mushroom mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon flour and set aside.
- Pour wine and broth into the pan and turn on med-high. Let simmer until reduced by half (about 6 minutes). Stir in mushrooms & heavy cream and simmer until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Add chicken and let simmer until heated through (about 1 minute).
- Serve over pasta.