Santa Fe Chicken Packets!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Simple Spring Dinner: Santa Fe Chicken Packets
Spring is one of the best times of year for anyone who likes to cook. Not only do dozens of fruits and vegetables come back into season, including asparagus, apricots and strawberries, but it’s the perfect season to experiment with fresh flavors and lighter dishes that you probably didn’t crave so much in the wintertime.
Fruits and vegetables play a huge role in spring cooking and the warmer seasons in general, but if you’re trying to be thrifty, spring produce shopping can be tricky. It can be easy to get excited and go overboard spending money on pricey fruits and vegetables, which can go bad pretty quickly and end up wasting you money. To save money, try balancing your fresh produce buying with equal parts canned or frozen fruits and veggies; they’ll last longer and you’ll still be able to incorporate fresh spring flavors into your cooking!
Another great part about the warmer weather is that it’s finally time to start using your grill again! A grill is one of the best cooking tools you can use during the spring and summer for a couple of reasons. First of all, you can cook virtually anything on a grill, from hot dogs and hamburgers to pizza, quesadillas and even fruit. Second of all, grilling is one of the healthier cooking methods out there. Grilled food gets its flavor from the grill itself and from marinades, meaning you don’t need boatloads of oil, cream or sugar for flavorful, delicious meals.
These Santa Fe Chicken packets are perfect for a quick spring dinner the next time you’re craving Mexican recipes; they make use of lots of spring veggies but use affordable ingredients so you won’t have to buy out the entire farmers’ market! Plus, you make them on the grill, so try them out the next time you feel like a yummy dinner outside. Enjoy!
Santa Fe Chicken Packets
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 1 can (15 oz each) Rosarita® Premium Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 oz each)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat outdoor grill to medium-high heat according to manufacturer’s directions. Stir together beans, corn, drained tomatoes and cumin in medium bowl.
- Place four 18×12-inch pieces of heavy foil on counter. Spray each with cooking spray. Place 1 breast in center on each piece of foil. Spoon 1/4th bean mixture over chicken for each packet. Bring up short sides of each foil packet and double fold top. Double fold both ends to seal each packet, leaving space for steam to gather.
- Place packets on grate of covered grill. Grill 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers (165°F). Carefully open packets; sprinkle 1/4th cheese on top of each breast. Close foil and let stand 2 minutes or until cheese melts.