Chicken Foil Packets are the perfect easy, breezy summer grilling meal! With heart-healthy pieces of chicken, some zesty seasonings and a handful of beans and veggies, an entire entrée can be made in no time at all…with no dishes!
Chicken foil packets are great to take on a picnic, camping, or even just to the backyard grill. This Santa Fe Chicken recipe grills up a super tasty south-of-the-border flair! Perfect served over a bed of cilantro lime rice or a helping of Mexican rice.
What is Santa Fe Chicken?
Santa Fe Chicken is a popular entrée that lets you mix and match the veggies and level of spice you want! Go for fresh, colorful vegetables that cook at the same rate as everything else!
How to Make Chicken Foil Packets
With a quick prep time, this recipe is great for busy summer days with a delicious balance of fresh veggies and beans.
- Place large pieces of foil (about 10”x10”), on a flat work surface & spray with cooking spray.
- Put chicken in the center of each piece and season. Add Veggies and salsa over each chicken breast.
- Fold in the ends to seal the foil packets and grill.
Let’s Get Grilling
On the grill, aim for about 20-25 minutes per packet, flipping halfway through. These can also be baked in a 375°F oven for 30 minutes or longer depending on the size of your chicken breasts.
Always test for doneness with a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken breast, approximately 165°F.
Once done, remove packets and carefully open each packet and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Leaving the packets open, return to the grill and cook until the cheese is fully melted (2-3 minutes).
More Foil-Pack Meals
- Barbecue Chicken Foil Packets – loaded with bacon & cheddar
- Cabbage and Sausage Foil Packets – only 5 ingredients!
- Pineapple Teriyaki Shrimp Foil Packets – light and fresh flavor
- Asparagus Salmon Foil Packets – ready in under 30 mins!
- Hobo Dinner Foil Packets – made with hamburger & potatoes
- Parmesan Chicken Foil Packets– 15 mins prep!
Santa Fe Chicken Foil Packets
- 4 chicken breasts 7-8 ounces each
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 15 ounces black beans drained & rinsed
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1 cup diced bell peppers any color
- ¾ cup salsa or 10 ounces Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- ½ cup Mexican cheese or monterey jack, shredded
- cilantro tomatoes & jalapenos for garnish
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place four large pieces of foil on work surface and spray each with cooking spray. Place 1 chicken breast on each piece of foil and season with chili powder, salt & pepper.
- Divide beans, corn, peppers, and salsa over top of chicken breasts.
- Fold in the ends to seal each packet. Place packets the grill vegetable side down for 10 minutes.
- Flip packets over and grill an additional 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and reaches 165°F.
- Place packets on a large baking pan. Carefully open packets and top with cheese. Place the baking pan back on the grill to melt the cheese.
- Top as desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)