As much as we love avocado toast, ricotta toast is another yummy cheesy go-to for a quick any-time meal!
Ricotta Toast starts with fresh ricotta mixed with a touch of lemon zest. It’s spread over your favorite toasted bread and then piled high with toppings, either savory or sweet.
Check out our favorite variations and enjoy this toast for breakfast or as a light, pick-me-up afternoon snack.
A Quick & Easy Snack!
- Light, slightly sweet ricotta cheese is the creamy complement to all kinds of sweet or savory toppings for ricotta toast!
- Loaded with calcium and Vitamin D, ricotta toast is the low-cal and low-fat alternative to peanut butter or mashed avocado toast, and it’s so versatile!
- Serve a simple but elegant Ricotta toast bar for a brunch get-together and offer a variety of seasonal fruits, nuts, lox, and even honey or maple syrup, and let everyone create their own!
- We love serving them with a pitcher of mimosas or a tasty Aperol spritz.
Ingredients for Ricotta Toast
Ricotta Cheese – Ricotta has a bright tangy flavor but is smooth and spreadable. It’s also pricey, so cottage cheese is often substituted in recipes like lasagna. But DIY with this recipe for homemade ricotta. Whipped cream cheese is another easy alternative to ricotta.
Bread – Thick bread like sourdough or homemade white bread are sturdy enough to hold the ricotta and any toppings, but even a solid whole wheat seeded bread will work once toasted. Try this easy homemade Challah bread or some crispy crostini to make some minis.
What Goes on Ricotta Toast?
Almost anything! Top with fruit, herbs, cured meats, oils, sauces, jams – the sky is the limit!
Herbs: A drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and ½ teaspoon each of fresh dill, parsley, and basil.
Strawberry: Sliced strawberries, lemon zest, & coarse sugar.
Tomato Basil: Chopped tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil, balsamic, salt, & pepper.
Peach Balsamic: Fresh or canned peach slices, balsamic glaze, & fresh thyme.
Spring Mix: Sliced cucumber and/or radish, green peas, fresh dill, & microgreens.
How to Make Ricotta Toast
- Brush bread with olive oil and broil both sides (or toast in the toaster and drizzle with a bit of oil after).
- Top with ricotta cheese per the recipe below.
- Add toppings and serve immediately.
This toast doesn’t keep well once assembled. Prepare your ingredients ahead of time and assemble just before serving!
If you’ve got time, homemade ricotta is super easy to make and oh so delicious! You’ll need just a few ingredients you likely already have – milk, salt & lemon juice or vinegar.
How did you top your Ricotta Toast? Leave us a comment below!
- 4 slices thick bread such as sour dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ⅓ cups ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- toppings as desired see notes
- Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil.
- Preheat the broiler to high heat. Place the bread on a baking sheet.
- Broil until golden and toasted, about 2 minutes. Flip the bread over and broil the other side.
- Combine ricotta and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Top each slice of bread with ⅓ cup ricotta cheese. Add additional toppings as desired and serve immediately.
Herbs: A drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and ½ teaspoon each fresh dill, parsley, and basil.
Strawberry: Sliced strawberries, lemon zest, coarse sugar.
Tomato Basil: Chopped tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil, balsamic, salt & pepper.
Peach Balsamic: Fresh or canned peach slices, balsamic glaze, fresh thyme.
Spring Mix: Sliced cucumber and/or radish, green peas, fresh dill, microgreens.
Salmon: Smoked salmon, dill, capers.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!