One of the easiest, most colorful recipes to make is an Italian-style antipasto platter!
A cold collection of cheeses, meats, marinated veggies (like artichokes), and a variety of olives is just the thing for a relaxing night in!
What is An Antipasto Platter?
We love antipasto platters for their sheer simplicity but also their dramatic presentation. Plus, they are totally customizable! Oftentimes antipasto platters can be made with leftover foods and served with crackers, pita bread or crostini! The best antipasto platters are balanced in color, texture, and taste.
What Goes on it?
DAIRY: A good antipasto platter has at least two or three different kinds of cheese. We like marinated Bocconcini (recipe below) because it’s soft and creamy, but hard cheeses like shaved Romano or a great parmesan are good choices too because they’re tangy and salty. Ask at the deli counter, they can help you out and are usually pretty knowledgeable!
MEAT: Use meats that can be rolled up and arranged artfully with the other ingredients. Salami and Proscuitto are must haves!
VEGGIES: Choose marinated vegetables like artichoke hearts, cornichons, roasted red bell peppers, and lots of colorful olives!
How to Make an Antipasto Platter
- Marinate the Bocconcini (we use olive oil and herbs per recipe below) and keep it refrigerated until it’s time to plate.
- Arrange lettuce or kale on the platter.
- Arrange a variety of meats, cheeses, veggies, and even some slices of bread, crostini toasts, or crackers around the outside. Add fresh herbs to make it pretty!
- A small dish or ramekin with some Dijon mustard or other favorite condiments like garlic aioli, pesto, or tapenade is nice to have on hand too!
What is so fun about antipasto platters is that guests can help themselves to any variety of items on the platter, using small wooden picks or appetizer forks to help themselves.
Amazing Antipasto Platter Tips and Tricks!
- Antipasto platters can be works of art! The key to a great platter to offer a wide variety of items that everyone will love!
- Slice the meats thin (or buy them pre-sliced) and place some of the cheese in chunks for visual interest.
- Estimate about 8 to 10 ounces of food per person, not including the bread or crackers.
- It’s easy to make ahead, too! Just arrange the components and then cover everything with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve!
- Don’t forget to garnish the platter with sprigs of basil or rosemary!
- Whipped Feta with Roasted Tomatoes – easy prep
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms – perfect for parties
- Jalapeno Poppers – 5-star recipe
- The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip – rich & creamy
- Cranberry Brie Bites – only 4 ingredients
- Roasted Chestnuts – a holiday favorite
Did your guests love this Antipasto Platter? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- 12 ounces bocconcini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic halved
- marinated artichokes
- assorted olives
- roasted red peppers
- herbs for garnish
- Combine bocconcini, olive oil, and seasonings. Marinate at least 2 hours or overnight. Discard garlic before serving.
- Select two kinds of cheese and two types of meat from the list above along with 5-6 other items. When selecting items, be mindful of adding different colors, textures and flavors.
- Line a tray with large lettuce leaves or kale if desired. Arrange all ingredients on a large tray or serving platter using small bowls for items in liquids.
- Add sprigs of fresh herbs for garnish. Serve with crostini or breadsticks.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
- Antipasto Skewers
- Pickled Asparagus
- Antipasto Pasta Salad
- Burrata with Balsamic Tomatoes
- Antipasto Salad