Butternut squash risotto seems like one of those oh-so-fancy menu items but it’s actually easy to make!
With this easy recipe risotto can grace your table any day of the week as a delicious side dish or meatless main dish.
Creamy Butternut Squash Risotto
We absolutely love this recipe because…
- risotto is easier to make than you might think
- roasted butternut squash adds a caramelized sweet flavor perfect for fall (or any time of year)
- while it does take some time, its easy to make in just a few steps
- you can add in your favorite veggies, herbs or cheeses to change it up
SQUASH Butternut squash can be switched out for other sweet winter squash like pumpkin, acorn, or even sweet potatoes!
BROTH While I prefer the flavor of chicken broth, vegetable broth will work in this recipe too.
RICE Arborio rice is my favorite rice for risotto. It is a short-grain rice found in most grocery stores and it produces a nice creamy dish. You can use other kinds of rice but it won’t be as creamy.
How to Make Butternut Squash Risotto
Here’s an overview to show how to make risotto like a boss!
- Roast squash in the oven.
- Soften onion and brown rice in a saucepan.
- Add wine & stir until evaporated, add squash & seasonings (per recipe below.)
- Slowly add warmed broth a bit at a time until rice is cooked and the mixture is creamy.
Season with salt & pepper, garnish with parmesan cheese & serve.
PRO TIP: If there are leftovers, refrigerate it overnight and form into risotto patties. Saute them in olive oil.
Tips for Success
- Choose squash that is heavy, uniform in color, and free of blemishes or soft spots.
- Roasting the squash adds extra flavor.
- Ensure the broth is warmed before adding to the rice.
- The trick to perfect risotto is a very slow addition of liquid and stirring after each addition
More Rice Favorites
- Easy Fried Rice Recipe
- Chicken Rice Soup
- Parmesan Risotto
- Broccoli Rice Casserole from Scratch
- Summer Squash Rice
- Dirty Rice
- Garlic Butter Rice
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
Did your family love this Butternut Squash Risotto? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Butternut Squash Risotto
- 2 cups butternut squash ½" cubed, about 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine or extra broth
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- 4 cups chicken broth divided, or as needed
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Place squash on a baking pan cut side up and 55-60 minutes or until tender. Scoop squash out and cut into cubes.
- Add remaining olive oil and onion to a pan over medium heat. Cook until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice and cook until rice starts to lightly brown, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add wine and cook until evaporated while stirring. Add squash and sage.
- Warm the broth in the microwave.
- Add warmed broth ½ cup at a time stirring until evaporated after each addition. This will take about 20-25 minutes, the squash will begin to break up as the rice is stirred. Continue adding broth allowing it to evaporate after each addition until the rice is tender and creamy.
- Taste and add salt & pepper as needed, garnish with parmesan cheese.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.