Apple Pie Cookies
How to Make Apple Pie Cookies
Pin now to save it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Ok, first thing I have to tell you before I get into this… those apples in the photo… they are the first ever from our tiny new little apple tree so I am proud of them. Please stop and admire them for a moment. Thank you.
Ok, these are seriously the most adorable cookies… pies? pookies? I don’t know but they are darn cute and I had a blast making them. I have to tell you I am not a pie lover, never have been.. but I really loved these! And don’t worry, if you’ve never made a lattice crust, it’s easy. If you can weave, you can make a lattice crust! I’ve put together a tutorial for those of you who need a refresher!
As I was inspired by Building Buttercream’s Blueberry Pie Cookies, I made these Apple Pie Cookies one by one, I later found an even better method to make the same tasty cookies even faster! You need to head on over and visit Amy at Oh, Bite it to see how she puts her cookies together. (While you’re there, make sure you stop and take a peek around!)
How to Make a Lattice Crust! <– Pin that too!
If apple isn’t your thing, swap it for blueberry or cherry pie filling. I know I talk about being frugal and saving money but please buy the brand name pie filling if you get apple… I’ve had store brand (and not just one) and it just isn’t the same! So, if you’re going to splurge a little, this is a good place to do it!
Or even better… Make your own Homemade Apple Pie Filling!! Delish and easy!
These were extra good with a little dollop of whipped cream right as we served them… but of course just put it on right as you serve! These apple pie cookies are definitely a crowd pleaser!
Items you’ll need for this recipe
* Pie Crust * Apple Pie Filling * Parchment Paper *
Apple Pie Cookies
- 1 box ready to use pie crust (2 crusts total) (You can use homemade double pie crust if you prefer)
- 1 can apple pie filling or homemade apple pie fillling
- 1 egg white
- 1-2 tablespoons large sugar crystals (regular sugar will work too) (optional)
- whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove pie crusts and let sit 15 minutes per box instructions. Lay out parchment paper and unroll pie crusts. Using a 2.75″ circle cutter, cut circles out of one of the crusts (I made 14 and then at the end I made a couple more with leftovers). You can re-roll the scraps to make more circles. Our reader Julie suggested using the can from the pie filling as a cutter!! What an awesome idea!
- Cut strips (approx 1/4″ or as thick as you’d like) out of the second pie crust. (I used a pastry wheel to make them pretty).
- Open the can of pie filling and pour it onto a cutting board. Dice the apples into small chunks.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of pie filling on each circle (you may have some left over). Using the strips of pastry you cut, weave them on top of each circle to create a lattice. View the How to Create a Lattice Crust tutorial here
- Once the lattice is completed, use the same cookie cutter to trim the stray bits of pastry. I used a child’s fork to create the design along the edges. Brush each cookie crust with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 12-16 minutes or until browned.
My cutter was 2.75″ but if you have one close (2.5-3″) it should work just fine!
Here are more recipes you’ll love
This recipe was inspired by Building Buttercream’s Blueberry Pie Cookies! Hers are from scratch and look awesome!