What are parsnips exactly? This long tuberous vegetable is worth adding to the grocery list.
Parsnips are similar in look to a carrot but sweeter and a bit more starchy with a taste more like a sweet potato. They are great for adding in with roasted potatoes, roasted beets, soups, or stews.
What are Parsnips?
- Parsnips are similar to carrots in that it is a root vegetable and has a similar shape. However, the parsnip does not have the same orange color as carrots, they’re creamy white. Usually, they are sold without the tops (which look a lot like a carrot top).
- Parsnips are high in fiber and is a great source of potassium, vitamin c, and folate; therefore has many health benefits!
- They can be purchased at the supermarket in the produce section. Sometimes they are sold loose or in bags (just like carrots).
What Do Parsnips Taste Like?
Eat them raw or cooked. Either way, they are sweeter than a carrot and taste more like a sweet potato. Large parsnips can be rather woody and a little more bitter. For gardeners, parsnips are the best harvested when it is cold.
Parsnips are great to add to roasted potatoes and roasted beets, or to this Roasted Root Vegetable recipe. Make Sweet Potatoes and Carrots and substitute the carrots for parsnips. Or add them to this Roasted Vegetables with Smashed Garlic recipe! For a holiday dinner side dish, why not try these Maple Roasted Parsnips?
They can also be used in place of potatoes. Try making mashed, pureed parsnips, or parsnip fries, or use them in soups and stews in place of carrots.
Or pair them with other veggies and roast, we love to make Roasted Carrots and Parsnips.
How to Store Parsnips
- Store parsnips in the refrigerator like carrots. Because they are root vegetables, they tend to keep for longer. They will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. They will also keep in cold storage.
- Cooked parsnips will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Uncooked parsnips can be chopped and frozen like carrots. They will keep in the freezer for 9 months. It is best to chop them and blanch for 2-3 minutes. Let them cool and dry before adding them to the freezer container.
What’s your favorite way to cook parsnips? Let us know in a comment below!