Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes are easy, cheesy and delicious! When those winter carb cravings hit, why not cook up cheesy slow cooker potatoes?
My family loves this recipe served alongside our favorite meatloaf recipe, and I bet yours will too. Whose eyes don’t light up when they see a steaming dish of slow cooker scalloped potatoes on the table? The perfect comfort food.
Scalloped is a favorite from my mother’s famous baked scalloped potatoes and ham in a casserole dish, smothered in a white sauce. But I like this slow cooked potato recipe without the extra cooking and cleanup that a white sauce entails.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Potatoes
Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes are filling and uncomplicated requiring just a few simple ingredients! They are super forgiving, and you can vary the recipe to suit yourself. So go ahead and experiment!
- Any “cream of” soup (such as cream of mushroom) will work in this recipe.
- Add your favorite seasonings to make it your own.
- Make recipe prep faster by using thin-skinned potatoes such as red-skinned or Yukon gold, no peeling required.
- Russet potatoes should be peeled as their skin can be a tough.
- A mandoline slices potatoes quickly and evenly. (You can get them on Amazon for under $20).
- Thinner potatoes cook quicker, thicker potatoes take longer.
- I opt for an extra-sharp cheddar for more cheddar flavor, not only for crock pot scalloped potatoes, but any recipe calling for cheddar cheese.
- A mild cheddar will provide a less tangy taste. Try different cheeses altogether, Colby, Swiss and Gruyere (my favorite addition to Crock Pot Mac and Cheese).
How to Make Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes
Slow cooker scalloped potatoes are a breeze to prepare and are good and cheesy just like our favorite Potatoes Au Gratin.
- Thinly slice the peeled potatoes and onion
- Mix cheese and sauce ingredients
- Alternate layers of sliced potato, sliced onion and sauce
- Cook either on high or low, depending on your dinner time
- When potatoes are tender, top with more cheese and cover until melted.
How Long to Cook Scalloped Potatoes in the Crockpot
These are easy to get into the slow cooker and will need about 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
If your potatoes are done early, simply turn the slow cooker off (they will stay warm for over an hour) or turn it to warm.
These slow cooker potatoes reheat well on the microwave or we sometimes fry the leftovers in a non-stick pan for a delicious side dish!
Because cheesy scalloped potatoes are so satisfying, you can make the rest of the meal quick and simple. A baked chicken breast or a juicy pork tenderloin, together with a salad or side of veggies (steamed broccoli or roasted green beans go well with anything cheese based).
More Slow Cooker Side Dishes
- No Boil Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Crock Pot Stuffing
- Crock Pot Corn on the Cob
- Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes
- 3 pounds potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese divided
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup (1 can)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- black pepper to taste
Combine 1 cup cheddar cheese, cream of chicken soup, 1 cup heavy cream, garlic powder, thyme and black pepper to taste.
Grease a 6qt slow cooker and place 1/2 of the potatoes in the bottom. Top with onions. Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture on top.
Add remaining potatoes sauce. Pour 1/2 cup heavy cream over top.
Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours (or low 7-8 hours).
Once potatoes are soft, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and cover until melted (about 5 minutes).
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)