Pepperoni Pizza Popcorn turns plain ol’ ordinary popcorn into a gourmet snacking feast! Freshly popped corn is next level with a parmesan garlic butter and topped with classic pizza toppings, including mini pepperoni!
To Make Popcorn
Never made popcorn on the stove before? No special tools required, simply a very large pot with a lid!
Stove Top Popcorn
For this you’ll need oil that can withstand high heat, such as peanut or coconut oil (my first choice). Olive oil is not the best choice for making popcorn, and neither is butter.
- Cover the bottom of your pot or pan with a few tablespoons of oil and heat over medium heat. Add a couple of kernels so you know when the oil is heated.
- When the kernels pop add the remaining kernels (1/2 cup) and quickly cover. While wearing oven mitts, gently shake the pan gently over heat until the popping slows down.
- Lower the heat to low and keep shaking until the popping stops.
Easy peasy and nothing special needed!
How to Make Pepperoni Pizza Popcorn:
- Butter: To keep the popcorn from getting soggy, use clarified butter, it’s easy and has the water & milk solids removed for a delicious buttery flavor.
- Cheese: I’ve tested this with both pre-shredded and freshly shredded mozzarella. Freshly shredded works better and sticks to the popcorn better.
- Toppings: I use pepperoni but your fave toppings will work here as long as they’re not too wet (no mushrooms or pineapple please). Meats like pepperoni, sausage (cooked and drained) and cheeses are great!
- Mix clarified butter with the parmesan and seasonings and toss with popcorn.
- Place the popcorn on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with pizza toppings, and bake until cheese is melted (per recipe below).
Pizza Flavored Popcorn
This easy, fun snack can be altered and enhanced with any of your favorite pizza toppings. Try adding basil and using some of the oil from sundried tomatoes for a margherita pizza version. Whatever toppings you choose it is sure to be a delicious treat!
- Meats: chopped ham, crumbled bacon, cooked ground beef, or hot Italian sausage crumbled.
- Fruits & Veggies: black olives, red pepper, or finely chopped sun dried tomatoes.
- Cheeses: cheddar cheese, marble, or tex-mex cheese blend for extra spice!
Pizza popcorn is best served fresh and still warm from the oven. Pizza popcorn is so yummy that you probably won’t need to worry about storage. It will disappear into happy, satisfied bellies before you know it!
Pizza Flavored Snacks & Appies
- Margherita Pizza – beautiful & extremely easy to make!
- Easy Cheesy Pizza Dip – creamy cheesy dip
- Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Puffs – ready in 30 mins!
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms – stuff with all your favs!
- Bubble Pizza Bread – only 4 ingredients
Pepperoni Pizza Popcorn
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/3 cup clarified butter *see notes
- 2 tablespoons parmesan grated
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese or to taste
- 1/4 cup mini pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pop popcorn in an air popper or using your preferred method. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mix the butter with parmesan, oregano, garlic powder. Drizzle over popcorn and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle popcorn with mozzarella and pepperoni. Bake 7-9 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.
- Cut butter into cubes and microwave in a large glass bowl/measuring cup (at least 4 cups) until completely melted and slightly foamy. About 1 minute for soft butter and 90 seconds for cold butter. (May vary, keep an eye on it, you want it to bubble a bit but not overflow).
- Allow the melted butter to sit a few minutes until it separates.
- Skim off the foamy top and scoop out the buttery oil (leaving any solids behind in the bowl, you want only the layer with the buttery oil).