I love stuffed mushrooms… any kind. Cream cheese, cheese & bacon, crab, cheeseburger stuffed or even a simple salsa… it doesn’t matter what you put in them, it’s always the appetizer I go for first! Of course these Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms top my list!
Mushrooms just have such a rich earthy flavor and stuffing them is easy to do. I like to wash my mushrooms and pull out the stem, I then use a tomato/strawberry huller to make the hole a little bigger (hello!!… more filling!). I don’t always use the stems but this recipe calls for chopping the stems and cooking them with a little garlic for some extra flavor! Naturally low carb and totally huge in flavor, this is one appetizer everyone agrees on!
Items You’ll Need for This Recipe
A couple of things that make these extra yummy are using a great quality pizza sauce and adding chopped fresh basil after cooking. If you have a local Italian market, ask for suggestions for a fabulous pizza sauce! And of course fresh basil is SO amazing and makes everything taste totally incredible!
PIZZA STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- 24 mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can pizza sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- mini pepperoni or your favorite toppings
- basil for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Using a small spoon, scoop out insides of mushrooms to allow enough room for filling.
- Finely chop mushroom stems. Add olive oil, garlic and chopped mushroom stem to a pan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes cool slightly.
- Stuff mushroom stems in mushroom caps. Top each with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce, 1 tablespoon cheese and 3 mini pepperonis.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked and cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Cool slightly before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love