Oven-Baked Asparagus Fries can be pan-fried, oven-fried, or air-fried!
Tender asparagus spears are crusted in a delicious crisp coating for the perfect side dish or appetizer! Serve with your favorite dips.
Why We Love This Recipe
Crispy asparagus fries are a great snack, appetizer, or side dish with lots of flavor!
I love when I can replace deep-fried snacks with a healthier option and in this recipe the coating is crispy crunchy from the oven!
This recipe is easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time.
Asparagus fresh, crunchy asparagus are the perfect vegetable for this recipe. Make sure to snap off the woody part of the stem for the best flavor.
Egg Mixture dipping the asparagus in a simple mixture of egg and milk is essential to keep the crispy breading in place while baking!
How To Make Asparagus Fries
This simple recipe is ready in under 30 mins. Just prep, coat, and bake!
- Use spears that are uniform in size and length so they bake evenly and don’t forget to snap or cut off the woody stems.
- Wash and pat them dry.
Make Asparagus Fries:
- Toss asparagus in flour and then in an egg and milk mixture (per recipe below).
- Pulse bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, seasonings and olive oil in a food processor until mixed. Divide into two parts.
- Roll asparagus in breaded mixture and place onto a baking sheet.
Bake until crispy then serve with an aioli dip mixed with some fresh lemon juice!
Tips for Breading
- Opt for thicker stalks of asparagus if possible. This will help the coating get crispy without overcooking the spears.
- Use only fresh asparagus, the texture of frozen is too soft for this recipe.
- A bit of oil added to the breadcrumbs helps them crisp better.
- Work with only half of the breadcrumb mixture at a time. If it gets too wet from the egg mixture it doesn’t adhere as well.
- For less mess, use one hand for dipping the asparagus into the egg and keep one hand dry to handle the breadcrumbs.
To make homemade lemon aioli whisk together some mayonnaise, a clove of minced garlic, a tablespoon of olive oil and add in some lemon juice (to taste) for a zesty twist!
Can’t get enough of these crispy asparagus fries? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Oven Baked Asparagus Fries
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 16 spears)
- 1 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ⅛ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine Panko Bread Crumbs, parmesan cheese, seasonings, and olive oil in a food processor. Divide the crumb mixture into two, working with only half of the mixture at a time. If the mixture gets too wet, it will not stick.
- Wash asparagus and snap off the bottom. Pat dry and toss with flour in a zippered bag.
- Beat egg and milk together and add to the zippered bag then roll in the breadcrumb mixture. Gently press the breadcrumbs onto the asparagus and place on a parchment lined pan.
- Spray each spear with a little bit of cooking spray. Bake 16-18 minutes or until crust is crispy.
- Serve with lemon aioli (see notes for recipe).
Combine ½ cup mayonnaise, 1 clove garlic (minced), 1 tablespoon olive oil and lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
More Veggie Appetizer Recipes
- Oven Baked Buffalo Cauliflower
- Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- Caprese Skewers
- Jalapeno Poppers
- Crispy Oven Baked Potato Skins