These crispy oven baked asparagus fries are easy to make and a healthy alternative to a deep fried snack! Pop them in the oven for a great appetizer or side dish along with a steak!
The baking time can vary greatly based on the size of your asparagus spears. The ones I used were quite thick… if you get the thin little ones (which are often all that’s available in the winter months) they will bake up much faster so keep an eye on them!
The secret to getting the crumbs to stick is the addition of the flour to the egg mixture!
Oven Baked Asparagus Fries with Lemon Aioli
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 1-2 bunches large asparagus (about 34 spears)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup of buttermilk or soured milk (see note below)
- 2 cups of Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper , Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon each Salt , garlic powder
- Cooking spray
- Store bought
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used light)
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine all Aioli ingredients together and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine Panko Bread Crumbs, Parmesan Cheese, Seasonings & Olive oil. Mix well. Divide crumb mixture in two working with only half of the mixture at a time. If the mixture gets too wet, it will not stick.
- Wash asparagus and snap off the bottom. Dry well.
- Beat egg, flour and milk together. Roll each asparagus spear in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Gently press the breadcrumbs onto the asparagus and place on a parchment lined pan.
- Spray each spear with a little bit of cooking spray. Bake 16-18 minutes or until crust is crispy.
Put 1 tablespoon of vinegar in a 1-cup measuring cup and top to 1 cup with milk. Stir & let sit 5 minutes (the milk will thicken).
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)