Caprese Skewers are a great mini appetizer that’s quick, easy, and yummy.
This easy snack is both fresh and delicious with creamy mozzarella balls, juicy cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves flavored with olive oil, balsamic, and seasonings!
Stacked on a little skewer, these bite-sized party favorites can be made well ahead of time!
How to Make Caprese Salad Skewers
- Caprese skewers are a twist on a classic Caprese salad.
- Use grape or cherry tomatoes if making them ahead of time.
- Many recipes call for a drizzle of olive oil at the end, I find marinating the cheese adds the best flavor!
- The recipe is just as pretty and to serve at a party.
As Easy as 1,2,3!
- Marinate mozzarella (per the recipe below).
- Thread ingredients on small skewers (I used these 4″ bamboo skewers).
- Season and serve.
As an alternative, you could use pretty toothpicks threaded with smaller bite-size ingredients. Cut the tomatoes in half, or use grape tomatoes, a quarter of a fresh basil leaf, and a half or third of a mozzarella ball.
Marinate The Cheese
The mini mozzarella balls used for Caprese appetizer skewers or salad is also known as ciliegine. They’re often sold in containers in brine and have a velvety softness that a block of grocery store pizza mozzarella can’t match.
While it is optional, I love the marinate the cheese in a small bowl of seasonings and olive oil for the best flavor. You can also check the deli area of the grocery store as they often sell marinated cheese.
If you don’t have access to fresh mozzarella balls, you can still enjoy Caprese skewers made from cubed mozzarella from a package (or check your deli area for marinated cheeses).
To Make Caprese Skewers Ahead
Make ahead up to 24 hours or so. Prepare the Caprese skewers, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator.
Amazing No-Bake Appetizers
Did you make these Caprese Skewers? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 12 mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic sliced, optional
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 24 cherry or grape tomatoes about 1 pint
- 24 small basil leaves or 12 large
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze optional
- Combine olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic if using, and mozzarella. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Wash tomatoes and basil leaves and gently pat dry. If basil leaves are large, rip in half.
- Thread a cherry tomato on each skewer followed by a basil leaf, a mozzarella ball, another basil leave and finally another tomato.
- Discard garlic slices (or reserve for cooking) and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil marinade and balsamic glaze over skewers. Season with salt & pepper.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!