Teriyaki chicken is a favorite dish and easy to make at home!
This recipe can be made with homemade or store bought teriyaki sauce and makes for delicious sticky chicken that is tender and juicy inside.
This recipe has minimal prep, simply whisk the sauce and pour over the thighs and drumsticks and bake! We love to serve it with a side of baked rice and some steamed broccoli.
Did you know that teriyaki is actually a cooking technique? It’s a Japanese method of grilling or broiling with a combination of sugar and soy sauce (and often mirin) and it’s often made with fish. This recipe is oven baked and then broiled for that crisp texture and flavor.
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN Chicken breasts, wings, and boneless tenders can be used in place of thighs and drumsticks but the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
SAUCE I prefer a homemade teriyaki sauce but if you have bottled on hand, that will work too. When using a bottled sauce, add extra garlic, a splash of orange or pineapple juice and some grated ginger if you have it.
ADDITIONS Feel free to add a can of drained pineapple chunks to the baking pan to add a tangy flavor to the sauce. For a super spicy sauce, squirt in a little sriracha!
How to Bake Teriyaki Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken comes together in just a few easy steps.
- Stir together sauce ingredients (per recipe below) in a bowl. Place chicken in a baking dish skin side down.
- Pour sauce over top.
- Bake chicken 25 minutes. Flip chicken over and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan and thicken the sauce with a bit of cornstarch.
- Brush the thickened sauce over the chicken and place under the broiler.
- Broil until browned and crisp.
What to Serve with Teriyaki Chicken
More Take-Out Faves
- Sticky Honey Chicken – a family favorite
- Pork Stir Fry – with homemade sauce
- Kung Pao Shrimp – 30 minute meal
- General Tso’s Chicken – easy to make
- Beef and Broccoli – 5 star recipe
Did your family love this Teriyaki Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Baked Teriyaki Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 6 drumsticks bone in, skin on
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- green onions & sesame seeds for garnish optional
- 1 cup prepared teriyaki sauce or homemade sauce below
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Place chicken skin-down in the baking dish and pour sauce mixture over top.
- Bake chicken 25 minutes, flip over and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and set chicken on a plate. Cover to keep warm. Preheat the broiler to high (500°F).
- Pour juices into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Slowly add to the simmering mixture while whisking until thickened. Brush the sauce over the chicken.
- Place chicken on a pan and place in the oven. Broil until crisp and browned, about 3 minutes.
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)