When we go to our local Irish Pub, we always get their delicious potato nachos! They are like regular nachos but instead of tortilla chips, they use crispy fried potato slices! SOOO good!
In this recipe you can either bake or fry the potatoes to make them nice and crispy!
Disclaimer: I do realize that these are not “Irish”. However, many North American “Irish Pubs” serve up these awesome potato nachos.. which I’ve had and really love! Regardless what you call them, potatoes with cheese and other toppings are delicious!!
IRISH PUB STYLE POTATO NACHOS
- 5 large yellow skin potatoes scrubbed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon or corned beef if you prefer
- 4 sliced green onions
- 1 to mato chopped and drained
- oil for frying or baking, both directions below
- sour cream & guacamole for serving
TO PREPARE POTATOES
- Slice potatoes 1/4″ thick and place in a bowl of cold water for 20 minutes. Drain very well and dry potatoes with paper towel.
- If baking preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss potatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil. Place on a parchment lined pan and bake 30-35 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- If frying, preheat oil to 375 degrees. Place potatoes into hot oil for about 7 minutes per batch or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine cheese, corned beef (or bacon) and half of the green onions. Layer half of the potatoes in an oven proof skillet or dish (a large pie plate works well). Top with half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted through.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining green onions, tomato and jalapeno. Serve with guacamole and sour cream.