Instant Pot beans are not only a money saver but a time and energy saver too!
Instant Pots are great for so many things, including beans. Any type of bean can be cooked in the Instant Pot, including black, lima, and pinto!
No Soaking Required!
If time is short, Instant Pot Beans is the answer. It cuts hours off the traditional ‘overnight bean soak’ and it’s so easy!
Instant Pots are called “instant” for a reason! Usually, dried beans have to be soaked overnight, but the Instant Pot eliminates that step completely! All beans take under an hour to cook fully in the Instant Pot!
There are only 2 ingredients needed to cook any type of beans in the Instant Pot!
BEANS Any type of bean can be cooked in the Instant Pot! See below for cook times, they’re all a little different.
WATER Water is needed for the beans to cook! For extra flavor you can swap the water out for chicken broth, beef broth, or vegetable broth.
How To Make Instant Pot Beans
- Place rinsed and picked over beans in the instant pot and close the valve to ‘seal.’
- Cook and release (per time listed below).
Cooking Times For Instant Pot Beans
Here is a list of beans that can be cooked in an Instant Pot!
- Lima Beans – cook on high pressure for 12-14 minutes.
- Pinto, Navy, Anasazi, and Black Beans – cook on high pressure for 20-25 minutes.
- Red Kidney Beans or Adzuki – cook on high pressure for 15-20 minutes.
- Great Northern Beans – cook on high pressure for 25-30 minutes.
- Cannellini Beans (white kidney beans) or Chickpeas – cook on high pressure for 30-35 minutes.
Once beans are cooked let the beans naturally release for 20 minutes.
Tips for Perfect Instant Pot Beans
- There may be small stones or debris in the bag of beans, so be sure to rinse them before putting them in the Instant Pot.
- Make sure you only fill the beans in the Instant Pot halfway, beans expand when they cook!
- Water is a must in order to cook the beans properly.
- 3 cups of water to every 1 cup of beans is needed.
- Water needs to completely cover the beans before you seal the Instant Pot.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, here’s how to soak beans!
Bean Recipes to Try
- Black Bean Tacos – perfect for taco night!
- Italian Bean Soup – warm and comforting
- Instant Pot Chili – quick & hearty!
- Cheesy Bean Burritos – freezer friendly
- Easy Sloppy Joes – a family favorite
Did you make Instant Pot Beans? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Instant Pot Beans
- 1 cup beans unsoaked (see notes for cook times)
- 3 cups water
- Place beans in the Instant Pot and top with water. Ensure beans are fully covered with water*.
- Set Instant Pot on high for the cook time listed below.
- Lima Beans: 12-14 minutes
- Red Kidney Beans or Adzuki: 15-20 minutes
- Pinto, Navy Beans, Anasazi or Black Beans: 20-25 minutes
- Great Northern Beans: 25 - 30 minutes
- Cannellini Beans (white kidney beans) or Chickpeas : 30-35 minutes
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Cooking Times provided by Instant Pot
Thank you, Great recipe!