This Ham and Potato Casserole is a delicious and very simple dinner! Ham and potatoes smothered in a homemade cheesy sauce! It makes a big meal and it’s not expensive to make!
The best part is that it’s very versatile… replace cheddar with swiss, replace ham with chicken… in this recipe, they will all work beautifully!
Another thing I love about this recipe is that is doesn’t start with “cream of” soup. I’m not a huge fan of salt so I always use low sodium chicken broth but any type will work just fine! Be sure to cut your potatoes fairly small (1/2″ x 1/2″) so they cook quickly. I also like to put my 9×13 on a cookie sheet just in case it drips over. The sauce will thicken upon standing.
If you love Ham & Potato, check out my Easy Ham and Potato Crock Pot soup recipe!
Tools you’ll need:
CHEESY HAM AND POTATO CASSEROLE
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 small onion
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 3 lbs potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups ham diced
- 2 cups frozen peas defrosted
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a saucepan. Add onion and stir until softened, about 4 minutes. Add flour and cook an additional 2 while stirring.
- Pour in pour in chicken broth and milk all at once. Whisk over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Place 1/2 of the potatoes in a 9×13 pan. Sprinkle with ham and peas. Top with remaining potatoes. Pour sauce over top.
- Cover with foil and bake 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Remove foil (carefully, it will steam), top with remaining cheese and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft and cheese is lightly browned.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)