Give your family healthy homemade beefaroni for a delicious one-pot meal.
Ground beef and macaroni are cooked in a creamy, cheesy tomato sauce to make a wholesome, hearty new family favorite!
Make extras for the refrigerator and freezer, and reheat for easy lunches and dinners.
- Beefaroni is a one-pot easy peasy kind of dish and ready to eat in about 20 minutes!
- This kid classic is has been given a flavor makeover using just a few fresh and wholesome ingredients!
- Once you’ve tried this homemade beefaroni recipe, it’ll be one of your favorite comfort foods!
Ingredients For Beefaroni
Ground Beef – Use lean ground beef and be sure to break it up finely as it cooks. Other ground meats to use are chicken or ground turkey.
Sauce – For a flavor upgrade this recipe uses crushed tomatoes, feel free to add in you favorite spices and seasonings or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
Cheese – Use finely shredded cheddar cheese. Pre-shredded cheese works fine in this recipe too.
Pasta – Think beyond elbow macaroni noodles, any medium-sized pasta shape will do. Ridges or tubes grab all that tasty sauce, penne, ziti, and bow tie are great choices.
Variations – Pump up the nutrition and sneak in some veggies liike shredded zucchini, diced bell peppers, or chopped mushrooms. Swap the cheddar for shredded mozzarella cheese if you’d like.
How to Make Beefaroni
- Cook ground beef per the recipe directions below.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the cheese. Cook until the macaroni is tender, adding more broth as needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in grated cheddar. Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Double up the recipe and serve all week as the flavors will continue to blend!
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- Portions can be frozen in zippered bags, but the pasta won’t be as firm once thawed but it’ll still taste yummy. Add freshly cooked pasta to refresh the texture.
Did you make this Homemade Beefaroni? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes 1 can
- 2 ½ cups beef broth up to 3 cups
- 8 ounces ziti or large elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese grated
- In a 12-inch saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef until no pink remains. Drain excess grease.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, 2 cups of beef broth, macaroni, cream cheese, tomato paste, sugar, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer. Cook for 14-20 minutes*, stirring occasionally. Add more broth as needed to keep it saucy.
- Once the pasta is tender, remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Cover and rest for 5 to 7 minutes. Taste and season with salt & pepper.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!