Blueberry Bran Muffins are hearty, wholesome, and delicious. This healthy recipe incorporates two cups of powerful antioxidants in the form of blueberries as well as a cup and a half of wheat bran for all the vitamin B you’ll need for the day!
How to Make Blueberry Bran Muffins
Trade out that pre-packaged snack at the office for these flavorful muffins that will get you through the entire morning! Even better when made in fun muffin cup liners.
- PREP: Whisk dry ingredients (except wheat bran) in a bowl. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- MIXING: Fold in the wet and dry ingredients just until combined. Overmixing can cause tough chewy muffins.
- BLUEBERRIES: Toss blueberries with flour and add to muffin mixture. The flour helps keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
Once the batter is prepared, evenly scoop into each muffin tin and bake until a wooden pick comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack and enjoy! For a tasty treat, serve with whipped strawberry butter!
Can You Freeze Them?
Sure, you can! These blueberry bran muffins not only freeze well but will also thaw and reheat well! Make sure they are totally cooled down before placing them in a zippered bag with the date on it.
To thaw, either set out on a counter to defrost naturally or place a few of them in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Heat a couple of minutes, the steam created from the damp paper towel will help keep the muffins soft!
Blueberry bran muffins are the perfect snack or breakfast recipe. With the addition of blueberries (fresh or frozen), for that just barely sweet flavor, even the kids will devour them!
More Breakfast Snacks
- Banana Muffins – ready in under 30 mins!
- Easy Pumpkin Muffins – big batch recipe
- Banana Nut Crunch Muffins – topped with a sweet, crunchy streusel!
- Overnight Oats – great to make ahead.
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins – perfectly sweet & tart
Blueberry Bran Muffins
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups wheat bran
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line 12 muffin cups with papers or grease well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Combine shortening and sugar with a hand mixer on medium until fluffy. Add molasses, eggs and milk. Beat until incorporated.
- Stir in juice and bran. Add dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Toss blueberries with remaining 1 tablespoon flour and gently stir into mixture.
- Divide over prepared pans and bake 18-20 minutes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Recipe Adapted from Quaker Wheat Bran.