This simple side of Garlic Soy Broccolini has a dash of spice and a sprinkle of simplicity.
Not your ordinary side dish, this broccolini is both elegant and delicious with a tasty combination of garlic, butter, and red chili flakes. It’s an easy side dish, perfect for every day.
A Quick Side Dish
We love this recipe because…
- It’s an easy side to cook with any meal.
- Similar to roasted broccoli, this recipe can be made on the stove without needing to heat the kitchen.
- All you need are a few simple ingredients and about 20 minutes!
Ingredients and Variations
BROCCOLINI: A cross between broccoli and Chinese broccoli, broccolini is a welcomed newer addition to the leafy vegetable repertoire. When choosing broccolini at the store, make sure that the stem is fresh and firm with no soft spots.
You can use regular broccoli in this recipe as well.
OIL: This recipe calls for the broccolini to be sautéed in butter and vegetable oil. Olive oil can be used in place of vegetable oil.
FLAVOR: Garlic is added at the end for great flavor, cook just until fragrant. Soy sauce adds umami and salt while a sprinkle of chili flakes adds a touch of heat.
Optional additions include freshly grated ginger or a squeeze of lemon juice.
WASHING: It is important to give the broccolini a little rinse before cooking. Then give it a shake to release some of the extra water.
CUTTING: Prepping broccolini is very similar to broccoli. Trim one-third of the stem. If the stem is very thick, it may need to be cut in half and chopped into smaller parts. Cut the heads into bite-sized pieces. This helps to coat and distribute the sauce more evenly.
How to Make Garlic Broccolini
Making Garlic Broccolini is literally as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Chop and fry broccolini until tender crisp.
- Add butter, garlic, and spices (per the recipe below) to the pan. Cook just until the garlic is fragrant.
- Season and serve!
Store cooked broccolini in an air-tight container, it will last in the refrigerator for 4 days. The broccolini can be reheated under the broiler, or in a frying pan on the stove. Try it as a side with meatball pasta bake, or lemon roast chicken.
Our Fave Vegetable Sides
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower – a classic combo
- Easy Oven Roasted Carrots – easy yet elegant
- Sesame Ginger Snap Peas – so flavorful
- Buttered Dill Peas and Carrots – a family favorite
- Easy Baked Cauliflower – 4 simple ingredients
Did you make Garlic Broccolini? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Garlic Butter Broccolini
- 1 pound broccolini
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes optional
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Rinse broccolini and shake dry. Trim the tips of the broccolini.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add broccolini and 2 tablespoons water, stir fry until tender crisp, about 6-8 minutes.
- Move the broccolini to one side of the pan and in the center add butter, garlic, soy sauce, & chili flakes if using. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds then mix together with broccolini.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)