No matter how busy life gets, we still have to eat. With simple make ahead ideas like these Fajita Meal Prep Bowls, eating great all week is as easy as opening the fridge to grab a dish! They’re delicious, healthy and 21 day fix approved and they freeze perfectly!
Does lunch or dinner time ever sneak up on you and leave you standing before the refrigerator, hoping to find a yummy meal or at least an idea for one, if so, then this is the recipe for you! A delicious, simple and easy alternative to hitting a drive thru when life is busy!
This version is made with chicken breast and rice, plus a lot of other delicious things, this recipe is flavorful, good for you. This recipe serves 6, making this perfect for a quick dinner on a busy night. This meal can be made on the sheet pan and immediately served in bowls with your favorite toppings or prepped on a Sunday afternoon for delicious meals all week long (or even longer in the freezer)!
You can get these meal prep containers here.
(They’re reusable, dishwasher safe, microwave safe and freeze well).
To prepare these for meals throughout the week, I cook the chicken, peppers and onions as directed, cool slightly and then use these handy meal-prep containers to package my Fajita Bowls. These are great containers that can be microwaved, frozen, cleaned in the dishwasher and reused! They’re lightweight, transport perfectly and they’re inexpensive so I don’t worry about anyone leaving them behind.
We use freshly chopped chicken with olive oil and our own seasonings. If you happen to have packaged Fajita Seasoning on hand, you can use that instead of the seasonings listed in the recipe. It will save you a few minutes of time, which is perfect for those super busy weeks! This recipe will last for about 4 days in the fridge, so this is the perfect recipe to make on Sunday for yummy meals in a flash during the week.
Once the meals are prepped, I add my favorite toppings like salsa, cheese and jalapenos. The possibilities are endless with the bowls so feel free to add in whatever you love… black beans, Fresh Mango Salsa, slaw, shredded jicama are a few others we love.
When building our bowls for make ahead meal prep, I find that adding the salsa right on top of the rice is delicious. I package lime right in the bowl and the remove it just before reheating.
I love that this recipe can be served hot or cold. I prefer the recipe hot, while my husband prefers it cold. We sometimes eat these just as is or even wrap them up in homemade tortillas or lettuce for a tasty spin!
Fajita Bowls are a great 21 day fix meal, made with all approved ingredients. To make these fit into the 21 Day Fix plan, cook as directed below and measure out using your containers. When plating your meal prep, measure out 1 yellow of rice, 1 green of peppers/onions and 1 red of chicken. Swap out the jarred salsa for pico de gallo. Counts will be 1 yellow (rice), 1 red (chicken), 1 green (veggies) + 2 tsp oils. If you add in toppings such as cheese or avocado (blue), olives (orange) they will be counted separately.
Once prepped these bowls keep in the fridge for days but they also freeze beautifully! To reheat from frozen, open the lid to allow venting and microwave 3-4 minutes or until hot.
FAJITA BOWLS (MEAL PREP)
- 3 cups cooked rice white or brown
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts about 3
- 4 bell peppers any color
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- cheddar cheese
- Green Onions
- Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and seasonings. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1″ pieces. Toss with half of the olive oil mixture.
- Cut bell peppers into strips and cut onions into thin slices. Toss vegetables with remaining olive oil mixture.
- Place on a parchment lined pan and bake 20-22 minutes, or until cooked through, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Serve with desired toppings or follow meal prep instructions below.
- Lay out 6 containers (I use these). Place 1/2 cup rice in each container. Divide the rice, chicken, vegetables, cheese and salsa evenly between the containers.
- Top with desired toppings and seal. Refrigerate up to 4 days or freeze.
- To reheat, microwave 2.5 minutes (or 3.5 minutes if frozen).
More Recipes You’ll Love