5 Minute Cheese Dip is perfect for when friends drop in at a moment’s notice.
A simple combination of cheese and zesty spices come together in just minutes in the food processor! (No food processor? No problem, tips below).
How to Make Cheese Dip
I mentioned fast, but did I also say easy? Absolutely no chopping or cooking required with this simple timesaver.
I like to use a food processor as it really blends all of the cheddar into the dip. If you don’t have a food processor, ensure your cheddar is finely shredded and mix well with a hand mixer.
- Whip softened cream cheese with mayo and sour cream.
- Add in remaining ingredients pulse a few times,
- Chill and enjoy!
To quickly soften cream cheese – simply remove foil wrapping and microwave on the lowest power setting in short bursts, checking frequently. Or, leave it sealed in the foil wrapper and immerse in warm water until soft.
Cheese: This dip has a cream cheese base and I add in sharp cheddar; I love the flavor! You can add any combination of cheeses you’d like!
Add-ins: The possibilities are endless.
- chopped bacon
- green onions
- defrosted and drained spinach
To Make Ahead
Cheese dip can (and should) be made well in advance to allow the flavors to blend. It will keep in the fridge for as long as the shortest expiration date mentioned on your packages of cream cheese, sour cream or shredded cheddar cheese.
- To Refrigerate: Be sure to tightly cover with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. This dip does not freeze well.
- Leftovers are great melted and added to cooked pasta with some chicken for an easy cheesy meal.
- Veggies: celery sticks, carrots, broccoli or cauliflower florets, and cherry tomatoes
- Bread & Crackers: pita or bagel chips, toasted baguette rounds, crackers, and tortilla chips
This cheesy concoction can also serve as the basis for platters of hors d’oeuvres. Pipe it onto celery sticks or crackers and serve plain. Or, garnish with chopped chives or parsley, olives, halved cherry tomatoes, pimento or your favorite topping.
More Easy Dips
- Crack Dip – great party appetizer!
- Pimento Cheese – a Southern classic
- Taco Dip – another great 5 min dip
- Everything Bagel Dip – quick!
- Bacon Cheddar Dip – a crowd favorite
- Cream Cheese Dip – perfect with tortilla chips
- Creamy BLT Dip – classic flavor combo
5 Minute Cheese Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in a food processor until fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine until smooth.
- For best flavor, refrigerate 1 hour if time allows.