This fragrantly spicy, sweet, and savory chickpea curry recipe is simple to make and needs less than 30 minutes to make!
Chickpeas and warm spices simmered with tomatoes, coconut milk, and peppers until fragrant and tender. It’s perfect for Meatless Monday and will be a family favorite all year long!
Why We Love This Veggie Curry Dish
This easy recipe is cooked in only one pot, which means fewer dishes!
Pair Chickpea Curry with Indian naan bread and some basmati rice, and have on the table in less than 30 minutes for a full meal.
Leftovers (if there are any!) are especially flavorful! The flavors have more time to mix together with the chickpeas, giving a bigger kick of flavor!
Ingredients & Variations
COCONUT MILK Any type will work, but full-fat coconut milk will give the best flavor and texture. Be sure you’re not using coconut cream which is heavily sweetened.
TOMATOES Canned, crushed tomatoes really add to the overall taste of this dish. Canned whole tomatoes or even tomato sauce will work too!
PEPPERS Bell peppers and jalapenos add some color to this chickpea curry! Use yellow, red, green or orange peppers, whatever you have on hand.
SPICES Curry, garlic, and ginger blend together to create the perfect mixture!
For a full meal, garnish with cilantro and serve over Basmati rice. Warm Naan bread from the oven completes this dish!
How to Make Chickpea Curry
Chickpea Curry can be made in 3 easy steps!
- Saute onion, garlic, ginger, and curry powder.
- Add the remaining ingredients (per recipe below) and simmer.
- Cook through until the sauce is thickened.
Serve over basmati rice and garnish with cilantro.
Tips for Success
- Drain your chickpeas well and rinse to remove extra sodium.
- Curry can vary greatly by brand or region and it doesn’t matter which you use in this recipe, just find one you like and use that! Curry powder should have a fairly a strong scent and a bright yellow color.
- Choose coconut milk that is full-fat for the best flavor since the light variety won’t deliver the buttery texture you’re looking for.
- Add more jalapenos or a dash of cayenne for a spicy version.
- Leftovers can be stored for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Chickpeas to Check Out:
- Homemade Falafel Recipe
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Hummus Recipe
- Chickpea Salad
- Easy Orzo Pasta Salad
Have you made this Chickpea Curry? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 green or red bell pepper sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 15 ounces can coconut milk full fat
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 30 ounces chickpeas 2 cans (15 oz each), drained and rinsed
- fresh cilantro roughly chopped for serving
- 4 cups cooked white rice for serving
- Cook onion in butter in a large saucepan until it begins to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and curry powder. Cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in bell pepper and jalapeño. Continue to cook over medium heat until tender-crisp.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve over rice with cilantro.
More Meatless Mains
- Easy Lentil Shepherd’s Pie – budget-friendly
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna – a family favorite
- Vegetarian Chili – make-ahead
- Cheesy Bean Burritos – freezer friendly
- Lentil Sloppy Joes – hearty and flavorful