This pasta salad is filled with summery freshness in every bite!
This vibrant orzo pasta salad combines garbanzo beans, feta cheese, and veggies, all tossed in a super simple olive oil lemon dressing.
Ingredients for Orzo Pasta Salad
Orzo: The base of this recipe is orzo, a pasta that resembles oversized rice grains. Found in the pasta section of most grocery stores, it’s perfect for salads and can also be served hot. If orzo is unavailable, any mini pasta will work.
Vegetables: Grape or cherry tomatoes add tangy freshness. I add fresh spinach (massaged kale works too!) into orzo salad. Feel free to add any of your favorite crisp veggies.
Chickpeas: Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas add texture and protein making this hearty meal.
Bold Flavor: This dish gets a flavor boost from red onion and feta cheese with an easy homemade dressing.
- Add any veggies from chopped cauliflower to cucumbers or red bell peppers.
- Stir in kalamata olives, chopped artichokes, or sundried tomatoes.
- Before serving, sprinkle with fresh herbs like fresh mint, dill, parsley, or fresh basil.
- Swap the feta for goat cheese.
Dressing for Orzo Pasta Salad
This dressing takes just a couple of minutes but you can use any vinaigrette for an Orzo Pasta Salad.
- Use a light flavored olive oil, extra virgin olive oil can be a bit bitter for dressings.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon honey in place of sugar if desired.
- Lemon zest or fresh dill can be added.
- To make it quickly, shake the dressing in a mason jar with a lid.
How to Make Orzo Pasta Salad
- Whisk the dressing ingredients (per the recipe below).
- Cook the orzo until tender, then drain and cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss with dressing. Chill for 1 hour before serving.
Tips For a Perfect Pasta Salad
- Cook and rinse the orzo to keep it from overcooking.
- Whisk dressing ingredients up to 2 days ahead of time.
- Chill the salad for at least an hour before serving to let the flavors blend.
- Reserve some tomatoes and feta for garnish or sprinkle some herbs on top.
Did you make this Orzo Pasta Salad? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Orzo Pasta Salad
- 1 ½ cups orzo
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes diced
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook orzo until tender. Cool.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk.
- Combine orzo with remaining salad ingredients.
- Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.