Hot wings are one of my all-time favorite snacks and just a bit spicier than buffalo wings.
The great thing about wings is that they can be made to crispy perfection in the oven, the air fryer, or even deep fryer, simply add your favorite hot sauce! Perfect for snacking and sharing (or not sharing at all, the choice is yours)!
Crispy Hot Wings
Who doesn’t love crispy wings? Even better when they’re doused in delicious hot sauce!
- Fresh or frozen wings can be used.
- Wings can be baked, fried or air-fried until crispy.
- Use your favorite hot sauce to make these spicy bites.
Hot Wings vs. Buffalo Wings
The difference between hot wings and buffalo wings is in the sauce (and the heat level!).
- Hot Wings are cooked crispy and tossed with hot sauce (like Franks Red Hot but of course there are lots of other options, use your favorite).
- Buffalo wings are cooked crispy and tossed in buffalo sauce which is often a combination of hot sauce (above) and butter or other additives (often oil).
Because the hot sauce is not diluted with butter or oil, hot wings often pack a bigger punch and are spicier than buffalo wings!
WINGS Fresh split chicken wings are used in this recipe, but frozen will work too! Keep in mind that if using frozen wings, you’ll need to add extra time to the air fryer or deep fryer.
The cook times below are for split wings (meaning the wing is cut into a little drumstick and a flat part while the tip is discarded).
SAUCE I use Frank’s Red Hot for wings because I love the flavor and the heat is just right but any hot sauce you’d like will work.
Tips for Crispy Wings
- Dab the wings dry before frying.
- Avoid crowding the air fryer or deep fryer so the wings get crispy on all sides.
- If deep-frying, wings can be lightly tossed with flour first if desired.
Wings for Days!
- Everything Air Fryer Wings– so crispy & flavorful
- Actually Crispy Wings – oven-baked
- Lemon Pepper Wings – perfect party food
- Baked Buffalo Wings – the ultimate appetizer
- Garlic Parmesan Wings – so easy to make
- Honey BBQ Wings – sweet & smokey
Did you make these Crispy Air Fryer Hot Wings? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Crispy Homemade Hot Wings
- 1 ½ pounds chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- Toss wings with flour and baking powder.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Toss wings with olive oil and bake on a baking sheet at 425°F for about 35 minutes (flip after 20 min) or until crisp.
- Broil 1 minute per side if desired.
- Toss with hot sauce and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!