If you’re looking for a great celery recipe, this creamy and savory casserole hits the spot!
It is so easy to mix up, and it can be used as a suppertime entrée. Lots of celery and crisp water chestnuts are tossed in a quick and creamy sauce. The result turns a ho-hum veggie into a delicious side everyone will love.
A Favorite Celery Recipe
Celery is a great veggie we commonly add to stir fries, salads, soups, or stews but when you have an abundance, there aren’t a ton of celery recipes floating around. Aside from celery soup, celery is rarely the star of the dish but that’s about to change!
We love having a really great (and flavorful) celery side dish in our pocket when that stalk has been in the fridge just a little too long.
- A quick and easy dish that uses inexpensive ingredients – perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
- It’s totally customizable, perfect as a mix and match side with any veggie you’d like.
- Or add meat to turn it into an entree.
- It’s a great casserole for using up leftovers. The sauce and vegetable combination complements almost anything.
VEGETABLES Celery really is the star of this recipe. We add in some mushrooms and onions for flavor and water chestnuts for a bit of crunch. Add in any veggie you’d like!
SAUCE A can of cream of celery soup makes this fast and easy but any “cream of” will work just fine (including Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup).
TOPPING A buttery breadcrumb topping adds some crunch and flavor once it gets toasty. A sprinkle of cheese is another great addition! To change it up, sprinkle with some crispy fried onions on top.
How to Make Celery Casserole
It’s couldn’t be easier to make this dish, just follow a few simple steps:
- Cook celery & mushrooms in butter & seasonings, stir in water chestnuts & soup.
- Place in a casserole dish and top with the buttery crumbs.
- Bake per the recipe below.
Vegetable casserole leftovers will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes. To freeze, transfer to a freezer-safe container. It will taste best if used within two months.
Comforting Side Dish Casseroles
- Easy Corn Casserole – with Jiffy mix
- Broccoli Rice Casserole – made from scratch
- Cheesy Vegetable Casserole – use fresh or frozen veggies
- Bacon Green Bean Casserole – rich & creamy
- Broccoli and Cheese Casserole – so comforting
Did your family love this Celery Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup onion finely diced
- 4 cups sliced celery ½ inch slice
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms optional
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning or ⅛ teaspoon dried ground sage
- 8 ounces canned sliced water chestnuts
- 10.5 oz cream of celery soup
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine topping ingredients and set aside.
- Cook onion in butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery, mushrooms, and seasoning and cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until tender crisp. Stir in water chestnuts and soup.
- Place in a 1 ½ qt casserole dish and top with prepared topping.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)