Cornbread casserole is an easy dish to make and full of sweet, savory, & cheesy flavor!
It bakes up into a yummy and moist cake-like casserole; the perfect side dish.
Cornbread casserole is a favorite holiday side dish and there are many variations but we love this version because it is moist and flavorful with a cake-like texture.
Ingredients for Cornbread Casserole
It doesn’t take much to make this mouthwatering treat!
CORN Creamed corn, cornmeal, and corn kernels are all loaded into this dish!
DAIRY Cheese, sour cream, butter.
Other ingredients include eggs, a pinch of baking soda, and some cheddar.
Variations for Corn Casserole
One of our favorite things about corn casserole is so many things can go in it and on it! Stuffed corn casserole makes a meal in a minute!
- MIX IN…. bacon bits, or crumbled sausage, diced green chilis, or jalapeno peppers!
- DRIZZLE WITH… maple syrup and top with toasted, chopped pecans. Add melted butter.
- SEASON WITH… Experiment with seasoning mixes like chili mix, taco, or ranch mix, and create your own signature side dish! Add fresh herbs if you have them.
How to Make Cornbread Casserole
Cornbread casserole is one of those dishes that everyone is happy to see on the table. Here’s a quick overview of the easy steps!
- Whisk dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients.
- Combine the two and then stir in fresh corn, cheese, or other mix-ins at this point.
- Bake according to the recipe below.
Once cooled, cover with plastic wrap. Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to reheat and serve, and it should be good for about 5 days.
Easy to Freeze
To freeze portions: Cut into portion sizes and wrap individually in plastic, then store in a zippered bag and they’ll keep about a month.
To freeze an entire casserole: Bake the casserole on an aluminum-covered casserole dish with 6 inches of foil overhanging on both sides horizontally. Once the casserole is cooked and cooled, cover it with the long foil edges and gently lift it from the casserole dish (this saves the dish for another use). Wrap in plastic wrap and label with the date on it. It will keep frozen for about 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven.
More Corn Sides
- Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- Easy Corn Casserole – classic with Jiffy mix
- Corn Pudding – moist and delicious
- Homemade Creamed Corn
- Fresh Corn Salad
- Crock Pot Corn Casserole
Did you enjoy this Cornbread Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- ⅔ cup flour
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 14-15 ounces canned creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded, optional
- 15 ounces canned corn drained, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate dish, combine butter, eggs, creamed corn and sour cream.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in cheese and corn kernels if using.
- Spread into prepared dish and bake 45-55 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.