This is the ultimate comfort food. A creamy chicken and veggie filling topped with a delicious flaky crust.
If you have a fridge full of veggies you’d like to use up, this is a perfect recipe! You can easily replace the frozen veggies with fresh veggies that have been lightly steamed.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 1 refrigerated pie crust or your favorite single pie crust recipe
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion , chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (I used the boxed kind)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken
- 1 small potato potato
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables , thawed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Set frozen vegetables out to thaw (or run them under cold water for a couple of minutes). Wash the potato & poke with a fork. Microwave about 4 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool, peel & dice.
- Cook onion in melted butter over medium heat just until softened (not browned). Stir in flour and seasoning. Slowly whisk in broth and milk, and continue cooking while stirring until thick and bubbly.
- Add chicken, potato and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat.
- Spoon chicken mixture into an 8x8 baking pan. Top with prepared crust (cut a few slits in the crust to allow steam to escape).
- Bake 32 to 38 minutes or just until crust is browned. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)