This Chicken Parmesan recipe (aka chicken parmigiana) is a family favorite! Tender pan fried chicken breasts topped with tomato sauce and cheese baked until golden and bubbly.
It’ll look like you spent hours in the kitchen but this parmesan chicken recipe comes together easily with ingredients you probably already have in the pantry…all the way down to the marinara sauce!
Homemade Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan is thought to have originated from Eggplant Parmesan, a traditional Italian recipe! Traditionally, chicken parm is a fried breaded chicken breast topped with marinara sauce and melted cheese. It makes for a deliciously filling Sunday dinner and the best part is that it is ready in under 30 minutes!
While this dish is often deep fried, this version is breaded and pan fried with just a little bit of oil and then topped with tomato sauce and cheese. The chicken finishes baking in the oven.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
Chicken parmesan starts with crispy breaded chicken for delicious flavor and texture!
- Pound the chicken to 1/2″ with a meat mallet or rolling pin to ensure even cooking.
- If the chicken breasts are extra large, you can cut them in half before breading.
- Pat dry before dipping into the beaten eggs and then the breading/parmesan mixture.
- Press the breading onto the chicken to help it adhere.
Brown the chicken breasts in a bit of oil, a few minutes on each side (no need to cook through, it’ll bake in the oven). Place in a casserole dish and top with marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Don’t skimp on the cheese, the gooey cheese really makes the best chicken parmesan!
To Lighten it Up
To make this baked chicken parmesan recipe a bit healthier, there are a couple of options.To reduce calories and carbs, you can skip the breading (as I do in my Parmesan Chicken Foil Packets) and just use Oven Baked Chicken Breasts (or if you’re low carbing, you can also use a mixture of almond flour and parmesan cheese)!
Lighten up the meal by serving this with zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash in place of pasta.
What to Serve with Chicken Parmesan
Whether you serve your chicken parm recipe over pasta or not, it really is a whole meal unto itself.
Or, switch it up and serve chicken parmesan burger-style for a fun twist on a classic!
Can Chicken Parmesan be Frozen?
Yes, chicken parmesan can be frozen once cooked through.
Keep in mind that while the chicken may not be as crispy once frozen it is still absolutely delicious!
Seal in freezer safe food storage containers or quart sized freezer bags. Don’t forget to label with contents, date, and if you need to, brief reheating instructions! Instant entrée!
More Baked Chicken Recipes!
- Bruschetta Baked Chicken – tomatoey goodness!
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole – cheeeeeese!
- 4 Ingredient Chicken Rice Casserole – reader favorite!
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts – classic and delicious
Easy Chicken Parmesan
- 4 chicken breast halves skinless boneless
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ⅔ cup Italian seasoning bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons oil or as needed
- 24 ounces marinara sauce homemade or jarred
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- basil & parsley fresh, chopped
- Preheat an oven to 425°F.
- Place flour in shallow dish. Place the eggs in a second dish (and beat with a fork).
- Combine Panko, Italian seasoning crumbs, grated parmesan, 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, salt, and pepper to taste in a third shallow dish.
- Pound chicken breasts to ½" thick (if they're very large you can cut them in half).
- Dip chicken into flour and shake to remove any excess. Dip chicken in beaten eggs & then into bread crumb mixture (press to adhere).
- Preheat oil in a large pan. Brown chicken on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden (it does not need to cook through as it will continue to cook in the oven).
- Place 1 ½ cups of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 dish. Add browned chicken. Top each piece with a couple tablespoons of marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbly and chicken reaches 165°F. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve over pasta.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!