Chicken corn chowder is a full hearty meal in a bowl! Tender chicken, potatoes, and corn in a rich creamy broth.
Layers of comforting flavor make this soup a favorite all year long!
A Hearty Chowder
Onion, celery, potatoes, and corn are all added to this soup. Feel free to add any veggies you have on hand, like zucchini or carrots!
Chicken broth is mixed with milk & cream to create the creamy base of this soup.
How To Make Chicken Corn Chowder
The secret to making the best corn chowder is in the creamy base! Oh, and bacon!
- Puree corn, broth, & flour in a blender. Cook bacon & drain on a paper towel.
- Cook onion & celery in bacon grease until tender. Add garlic & saute.
- Add potatoes, broth, & seasonings and simmer until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients (per the recipe below) & simmer until soup is thickened.
Storing Chicken Corn Chowder
Keep leftovers in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
To reheat it, simply put some into a saucepan on the stove or a microwave-safe dish in the microwave. Top with bacon bits!
Freezing chicken corn chowder is easy too! Just put it in zippered bags with the date on them and freeze them flat on the bottom of the freezer! Once they are frozen, stack them upright and save valuable freezer space! It may be a little bit thinner once defrosted but the flavor will still be great.
Tips For Making Chicken Corn Chowder
- Canned corn or frozen corn will do in this recipe- but if fresh corn is available, use it (even leftover grilled corn is great)!
- No special tools needed. Hold the corn cob vertically over a plate and use a paring knife to cut the kernels off. Easy peasy!
- Potatoes can be mashed a little more to thicken the soup further if needed.
- Don’t hesitate to add some heat if you like it! A few slices of jalapeno peppers, a handful of cheese on top, and some tortilla strips on the side turn corn chowder into a tex-mex feast!
More Corny Favorites
- Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- Homemade Creamed Corn
- Corn Casserole
- Mexican Corn (Elote)
- Fresh Corn Salad
- Easy Corn Fritters
Did you love this Chicken Corn Chowder? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Corn Chowder with Bacon
- 3 cups corn divided, defrosted if frozen
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 slices bacon thick-cut
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound yellow potatoes peeled and diced ½"
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon thyme leaves
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine 1 ½ cups corn, 1 cup broth, and 1 tablespoon flour in the blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large pot until crisp. Remove from the pot and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Turn heat to medium and add onion and celery to the bacon grease in the pan and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add potatoes, remaining broth, and seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. For a thicker chowder, gently mash a few of the potatoes if desired.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Garnish with reserved bacon and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Inspired by The Looneyspoons Collection.