Cabbage Stir Fry is easy to make and super tasty as a meal or a side dish!
This easy recipe is packed with all the good stuff! Sweet cabbage and carrots, ramen noodles (optional!), and fresh garlic and ginger are all sautéed together to make a healthy dish that goes from the stovetop to the table in minutes!
A Colorful Cabbage Stir Fry
- Healthy and delicious, cabbage is both inexpensive and tasty!
- This dish takes just minutes to make and tastes great making it perfect for weeknight meals.
- Stir-fries are affordable, filling, and healthy.
- The whole family will love how versatile this dish is, switch up the ingredients for a new entrée every time.
- Save time and use a bag or two of pre-packaged slaw that comes with shredded carrots, and often shredded spinach, brussels sprouts, or kale!
What’s in Cabbage Stir Fry
CABBAGE: Regular cabbage AKA, ‘cannonball’ stays firm while it absorbs the juicy sauce in this recipe. Shredded Napa, purple cabbage, and Savoy will all work in this recipe. Use a mixture of cabbages for a colorful dish! FUN FACT: Cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, kale, and Bok Choy are also members of the cabbage family and can be used as well!
MEAT: Keep the vegetarian vibe going and add tofu, seitan, or some scrambled eggs for a protein boost. Ground beef or pork sausage, shredded chicken, shrimp, and bacon crumbles will definitely make cabbage stir fry a heartier main dish meal!
NOODLES: Ramen is economical, easy to find, and even easier to prepare! Soba, udon, rice noodles, and egg noodles are other options. For a keto dish, use ‘zoodles’ (zucchini), palmini (hearts of palm), or shirataki noodles.
VEGETABLES: Aside from color carrots in this recipe, add a bag of frozen veggies like green beans with peas and pearl onions, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, baby corn, or water chestnuts. The sky’s the limit!
SAUCE: Homemade sauce can be made as sweet or spicy as you like! Use this homemade teriyaki recipe as a cabbage stir fry sauce, a marinade, or a glaze!
Switch It Up!
The basics are cabbage, fresh seasonings, and a savory sauce with an ‘umami’ flavor profile. After that, add in any meats, veggies, or noodles that you like. This is a great recipe for using up leftover meats and veggies, too!
How to Make Cabbage Stir Fry
This easy to make dish is simplicity itself:
- Whisk the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside (per the recipe below).
- Cook ramen noodles as directed on the package, reserving 1/3 of the cooking water.
- Cook sliced cabbage and carrots with garlic and ginger until tender.
- Add sauce and ramen and cook until bubbly and heated through.
Remove from heat and garnish with sliced green onions and optional sesame seeds.
PRO TIP: Cut green onions diagonally for a restaurant-worthy plate presentation!
Storing Stir Fry
Keep garlic cabbage stir fry in a covered container in the refrigerator for about 4 days. Serve cold or reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Cooked cabbage freezes beautifully for up to 4 weeks!
Better Than Take-out
- Easy Mongolian Beef – almost famous
- Chicken Udon Stir Fry – perfect weeknight meal
- Kung Pao Shrimp – so flavorful with a kick
- Pork Stir Fry – loaded with veggies
- Beef and Broccoli – a reader favorite
Did you make this Cabbage Stir Fry? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Garlic Cabbage Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 3 green onions
- 4 cups shredded cabbage or slaw mix
- 1 carrot grated or julienned
- 1 package ramen noodles seasoning packet discarded
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce or teriyaki sauce, plus additional for serving
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon sriracha or sambal oelek
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Thinly slice the green onions separating the white and green parts. Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot boil ramen noodles according to package directions. Reserve ⅓ cup of the cooking water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and the whites of the green onions. Cook just until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage and carrots and cook until slightly tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sauce, noodles, and 2 tablespoons of the reserved cooking water or more as needed. Stir while cooking until the cabbage is tender.
- Remove from heat and garnish with the remaining green onion and sesame seeds. Drizzle with additional hoisin or teriyaki sauce if desired.
- If using bottled teriyaki sauce, ensure it's one that is thick (like bbq sauce).
- For a low carb dish, skip the ramen noodles and add additional cabbage.
- Cabbage can be replaced with coleslaw mix, it will cook faster than cabbage.
- Cooked chicken or shrimp can be added.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.